94 Olds 98 will not shift to 4th

Old 08-31-05, 08:11 AM
94 Olds 98 will not shift to 4th

My 94 FWD Olds 98, 3.8 engine, has a problem with shifting to 4th. Right before this I was occasionally having a code about a TCC circuit problem, but yesterday on a 300 mile trip I noticed it was not shifting into 4th. After a stop with engine off it will shift to 4th for a few minutes and then downshift back to 3rd (and will NOT go back to 4th.) The TCC locks when it shifts to 4th, but my AutoXray shows the shift selector in 4th and the transmission in 3rd. Engine rpm also confirms it is in 3rd. The car has 150k, and definitely needs fluid/filter change. Is the shift controlled by anything other than the valve body on this transmission? Will a fluid/filter change have a chance at fixing the problem? With the intermittent TCC code previously, is there something which might need replacing (solenoid?) with the pan off? And, if anyone has time, why does stopping and killing the engine affect it? Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-05, 09:01 AM
Hi Yarslew,

Your car is running a 4T60-E transmission. The "e" on the end implies Electronically controlled. There are 2 solenoids that control the shifting of this transmission. Solenoid "A" and solenoid "B" also a seperate solenoid for the TCC.
With the shifter in drive range it will be as follows:
1st gear-both solenoids are turned on
2nd gear-solenoid "A" off and "B" is turned on
3rd gear-both solenoids are turned off.
4th gear-solenoid "A" is on and "B" is off.
Since we can get 1st gear, solenoid "A" must be capable of working and we do however briefly shift into 4th gear if I understand you correctly. You also apparently have no codes for a solenoid problem. I suspect you are having a 4th gear failure. This could be confirmed with further diagnosing. Doing a fluid and filter change is great maintanence but will not resolve this problem. I hope this information helps.

Old 08-31-05, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the "bad news." I follow your line of reasoning on this. I guess it's time to bite the bullet and replace it. Today on short runs it was shifting into 4th when it should, but it did downshift at the last just before I returned home. TCC never locked today, however. Any recommendations on further testing of it?

Old 09-01-05, 02:13 PM
My best advice would be to find a transmission repair facility that is an A.T.R.A. (Automatic Transmission Rebuilders Association) member,( I am not sure if giving you a name of a nearby A.T.R.A. member is allowed per the forum rules). Usually members will advertise this in the phone book so you may also want to check there. These are people that pay an annual membership fee to offer and honor a nationwide warranty throughout the United States. Otherwise I would ask around, good and bad news travels fast. Ask friends and family members about a good or bad expirience that they might of had. Word of mouth is generally the best way to find a reputable repair facility. To give you something to compare to in my area an overhaul complete with installation will run about $2,000.00 complete. I hope this information helps you and good luck!

Old 09-16-05, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the follow up. Sorry to be late responding but I'm not receiving an email notification of a response. Guess I need to check into that, too.
This car is not worth spending $2k on a trans, so guess I'll have to check plan B, C, or D..maybe a guaranteed used that I can do the replacement on. I do wonder if the solenoids are really working right, since it does shift into 4th, but just won't stay there more than a few minutes. I don't know about 1st gear performing over a long period of time...so, that solenoid may/may not be bad. Right now the solution is simply to drive in 3rd until either the situation is fixed or a replacement auto is purchased.