brake service question

Old 09-01-05, 05:05 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
brake service question

I recently took my Subaru Forester in for an inspection. I knew it needed brakes, but was told that the rotors were rusty and needed to be replaced, too. The bill for the job came to $500. The car is a 1998, but only has 31,000 miles on it. I let them do the work, because they said if I only replaced the brakes, the car would vibrate and thump while braking. Did the rotors all really need replacing, or could they have been ground down? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Old 09-02-05, 04:18 AM
B
there is really no way of knowing unless you have your old rotors that the shop replaced.
most manufacturers give specifications for rotor thickness and if they can be turned they give a machine to thickness and a discard thickness it doesnt take long to ruin rotors if you drove the vehicle very far with brake pads that were worn down to metal,
if you have your old rotors you could possibly see a parts store or shop that turns rotors and have them measure them and look up the specifications for your car and they should be able to tell you if they can be turned, or if they did need replaced.

Old 09-02-05, 08:06 AM
K
Sounds like the you had warped rotors. Although if the car only has 31k on it, I dont see how they couldnt have just cut your rotors? But if you were driving with worn pads where the metal was exposed, you could have hacked up the rotors badly enough to need replacing. It all comes down to "do I trust my mechanic?"

I think the rusty part is BS though , then again, I dont know exactly what he said to you. If you have ever done brakes on a car, you know that the center of the rotors ALWAYS have rust on them, as well as drums. Its just the way it is.

Jim

Old 09-02-05, 01:38 PM
F
thanks for your input, guys!

I didn't keep the old rotors, so I guess I'll never know for sure. I appreciate your help, though - thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: