charging system question

Old 09-02-05, 05:35 PM
protouser
Visiting Guest
charging system question

i have a 1993 mazda protege lx dohc. i wanted to know how to reset a computer on the car, and is it possible that the computer or a fault code would cause the alternator to stop charging . Symptoms........this allready happend to me once. while driving i feel a loss of power, the car and all the accesories start to dim but no alternator warning light. i have an optima blue top battery (thats probably why the car still starts) but is this too much battery for the alternator. and the alternator is a month old. before the first time it was about a year since i put the battery in, but no problems since then.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-05, 09:30 AM
Have you checked the tension on the alt.belt?
Reseting the ecu on yours might be similar to mx6's/probes of that era.
You can disconnect the Neg batt terminal, then either hold the brake peddle down for about 20secs or leave the passenger door open for about the same amt of time to drain the stored up charge.
Have you run a scanner/diagnostics off the car looking for trouble codes?

Old 09-03-05, 12:20 PM
protouser
Visiting Guest
well no codes but i took the alternator to check it and it came back good. i dont get it...... it doesnt charge on the car but it works on thier machine?

Old 09-03-05, 04:51 PM
protouser
Visiting Guest
Angry Please help

ok i fessed up and bought a new alternator. but it only pumps 12.80 V maximum and under loads like high beams, radio and ac it only puts out like 12.20v. someone help please i checked resistance between the ground. it was ok also. ?????????????????/ totally confused and frustrated...please help

Old 09-03-05, 05:39 PM
Is that 12.8V with engine at idle?....or 'some' accessories on.
With all the accessories on and engine at idle, it is quite possible to read only 12.2V.
Can you get a reading with all the access. on and engine under boost/trottle?
Im checking my Chilton's which does cover the Protege as well. I have a '94 mx6. Similar electronics.

Old 09-03-05, 06:48 PM
protouser
Visiting Guest
it puts out 12.8v at 2k rpm and above. at idle its 12.2v without anything on. with all accessories on its below 12v its puts out like 11.7v-11.8v. according to my haynes repair manual it should be anywhere from 13.5v-15.1v. my car is also a 5 speed so it idles at like 800 rpm so that doesnt help either. something is not letting the alternator to charge properly.

Yeah we have the same motor. 1.8 dohc

Old 09-03-05, 07:43 PM
Uh, no. We dont have the same motor. Mines a 2.5 dohc. ..but I was thinking...
Does this yr/model have a relay?
I remember my old '68 Celica had a relay that went bad and reflected as a faulty alt.?!?! - I dont know...
Try here http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/
Free signup.. Im sure someone there can shed some light.

Old 09-03-05, 10:00 PM
Check the fuse or fuse link for the voltage regulator.

Old 09-04-05, 07:30 AM
protouser
Visiting Guest
sorry jatco i thought i read mx3 nevermind yours is like the ford probe. well a fuse or fuse link was my first theory but after looking in my manual and finding no fuse specifically for the alternator. the only fuse that is in line with the alternator is the main fuse and the injector fuse. both work and have continuity. and when i put the alternator on it first showed 13v when i first started the car then went down. im going to test the code (not letting the alternator charge) theory tomorrow. ive tried club protege but for some reason i cannot post the site wont let me.

Old 09-04-05, 08:18 AM
It's my understanding that the optima blue top battery is a marine/rv battery and a red or yellow top is for automotive use.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publi...duct_info.html

Try putting in a battery from another vehicle if possible.