Cleaning fuel injectors (help)

Old 09-03-05, 09:06 AM
Cleaning fuel injectors (help)

I have a 1997 S-10 Pickup, 4.3L. I am planning on running a can of NAPA engine cleaner through my motor to help eliminate a slight case of pinging. This cleaner is the type that goes through the schrader valve of the fuel line. My question is: What is the easiest way to disable the fuel pump? It seems to be on the same fuse as the ECM, so if I pull the fuse, the truck won't run, and it needs to so that the can of solvent can flush through the engine. I tried pulling the relays, but the pump still runs. I know there must be an easy way to do this, I just can't figure it out. Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-05, 09:25 AM
Have you tried a can/container of 'fuel injector' cleaner via a full tank of gas. STB or similar brand. That usually will do it!

Old 09-03-05, 09:41 AM
Unplug it at the tank.

Old 09-03-05, 01:06 PM
You'll want to unplug it at the tank

Old 09-04-05, 09:35 AM
You can only guess and hope that the injectors are cleaned using the fuel line chemical injection method.

Have you considered sending the injectors out for cleaning? There are a lot of places where you can mail your injectors for cleaning. For roughly $25 per injector, they ultrasonically clean, backflushm, then flow test and balance the injectors. The injectors are virtually guarateed to be clean and functional.

Old 09-04-05, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the help!!! I unplugged it at the fuel tank, and ran the can of ProCleen through. Sending the injectors out to be cleaned was my next option, but there was an extremely noticable improvement from running this aerosol through the system. I had been using the "pour in the fuel tank" stuff for a while, with no improvement. Hopefully, this solved the problem. I no longer have any pinging under acceleration, and I'll monotor my fuel mileage to see if it improves.

Thanks

Old 09-04-05, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by john5862
...there was an extremely noticable improvement from running this aerosol through the system. I had been using the "pour in the fuel tank" stuff for a while, with no improvement.
I have had good luck with the type of cleaner you are using
Running the engine straight off a cleaner for a few is much more effective than a solvent added to your gas

Old 09-04-05, 05:20 PM
Glad its working out for you....
That method is something worth keeping in mind!