Suzuki Sammy Won't Start??...

Old 09-03-05, 09:16 AM
Suzuki Sammy Won't Start??...

Here's the story... my 1991 Suzuki Samurai JL 4WD was chewing up fan belts, so I took it to a local mechanic and he told me it was the alternator trying to lock up (he wanted $243 to replace it). Sooo... I decided to do it myself.
Being a rookie mechanic, I made a classic rookie mistake. I forgot to unhook the neg. battery cable.
When I unhooked the ground from the alternator it touched the body and killed the battery, and from what
I understand the solenoid on the starter. Replaced both of them. Now when I turn the key I get nothing, no lights, blinkers, or even hazards. No fuses are blown, and none of the wires coming from the alternator or starter/solenoid appear to be damaged. If I bridge the posts on the solenoid I get some sparks (and some clicking around the control module inside)so I think I have power to there. Any advice greatly appreciated...

Matt

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-05, 10:33 AM
I assume you meant to say the 12v wire, not the ground wire touched the body. See if you have a large main fuse the positive battery cable connects too. I have one in my car that you have to unbolt to pull it out (not a typical looking fuse).....thinking you may have overlooked that.

Old 09-03-05, 10:36 AM
Thanks, Jeff, I'll check it out!....

Old 09-03-05, 10:37 AM
Also, if the battery is really dead, you'll need to recharge it or try jump starting it.

Old 09-03-05, 10:39 AM
Battery's brand new....tried to jump it, no luck....no lights or anything, either, while jumping...

Old 09-03-05, 01:10 PM
You may need a Wiring Diagram
Maybe autozone.com has one for you
There any fusable links in the ignition system?

Old 09-03-05, 01:15 PM
Hey, Slick, I'm at work now...will check it out when I get home, an hour or so...Think I may already have a wiring diagram copy...Thanks for the input...

Matt

Old 09-03-05, 02:24 PM
what does the fuseable link look like...there are 2 smaller wires coming from the positive terminal going into white plastic plugs?
Once I identify it, how can I tell if it has been damaged.
thanks
m

Old 09-03-05, 02:42 PM
Hmmm...they look different on different years/cars
But they will usually be in-line
In other words the wire will go to a...maybe a small white plastic tube, and then continue as a wire
You open the tube and there's a tube-type fuse in there
I've seen them where they are square, and where they just get fatter, and the "fuse" is not replacable, you must buy a new "wire w/fusable link"
Those I usually make my own

Old 09-06-05, 01:35 PM
Got It!

Hey Slickshift,
Sammy's on the road again!...It was the fuseable link...On mine it was about a 3 inch long green wire, connected on the pos battery terminal with it's own loop connector...then down to a fatter, white wire with a yellow stripe that led down into other harnesses and all over the car...I put in a Water Tite inline fuse, uses the mini blade type fuses...Only question now is amps...I started with a 15, it started once and ran 'til I killed the ignition then blew...I put in a 20, and everything's fine so far...

Any suggestions on what amp fuse I should use?...Bought a little variety pack of 'em, so I have different ones...What amp should I use?

Thanks a bunch for all the help and info,
Matt

Old 09-06-05, 02:22 PM
Hey you found it!
I have also replaced fuseable links with inline fuses
I have done the same you have and made the replacement fuse-able fuse a step above the others (you have up to 15 amp fuses on yours)
I'm not sure of the exact "by the book" amperage that your fuse should be in a case like that
Maybe someone will have a technically correct answer for you...well...me too, and pipe in
I can tell you it worked for me

Old 09-06-05, 02:28 PM
Hey, ss, thanks again for your help...we're gonna run with the 20 amper for now and see how she does...by the way, the Sammy's running better than ever...The new alternator, no doubt (?)...But never had starting troubles or anything before...

Take care, and thanks again from Southeast Texas...

Matt