rear VW2001 calipers:can't push in piston

Old 09-06-05, 02:06 PM
riseric
Visiting Guest
rear VW2001 calipers:can't push in piston

Hi all,
I'm in the process of replacing the rear brake pads and all is well BUT... I can't push the piston inward even with great force...
I suspect an anti-return valve or device since it's the rear brakes and they're coupled with the mechanical parking brake.
Here's 2 things I noticed:
In the back of the caliper there's a Torx screw that I don't know what's the use for and the face of the piston has 2 "v" shaped indentations that seem's to be there for inserting a special tool for turning the piston maybe???
I've changed front pads before without hassle so I did succeed in pushing in pistons...
Any help is greatly appreciated
BTW, model is Sharan (mini-van in Europe) most probably the same calipers as other VW like Passat or Golf

Old 09-06-05, 02:26 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Virtually all rear disc pistons require a special tool to twist them as you press them in
The pistons are threaded
I'm sure you are correct about the V being the spot for the tool on VWs

Old 09-06-05, 02:52 PM
riseric
Visiting Guest
Hi Slickshift,
Thanks for your quick reply.
Guess I'll go get a service manual tommorow morning and see what's the trick here. Will post back with findings (if any...)
Have a nice day.

Old 09-07-05, 06:07 AM
riseric
Visiting Guest
hello again,
Well, the service manual says that the piston has to be screwed in, clockwise of course, and if the special tool is not available, then a circlip pliar can be used to turn the piston. there's a photo showing just that.

Now the fun part, I managed to screw in the right side, installed everything back on and all is well. EXCEPT... the left side seems to have a mind of it's own as it will go in only as far as about half way, then any amount of turning is of no use... My arm is seriously aching at this point...
I've tried unscrewing at bit the bleeder valve to releave hydraulic pressure to no avail. Someone suggested pumping the hand brake till the piston is fully out then turning. tried that twice and can only go to half way point...
Any other suggestions??
thanx

Old 09-07-05, 01:07 PM
riseric
Visiting Guest
All is OK now !!

I used a piston pusher while I did the turning. Something that was not needed on the other side...
Anyway, all is ok now and I learned somthing in the process. Hope it help's someone else
see ya

Old 09-07-05, 01:18 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by riseric
I used a piston pusher while I did the turning. Something that was not needed on the other side...
Ah...glad you figured it out!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: