93 toyota tercel....running awful

Old 09-04-05, 12:47 PM
mousitch
Visiting Guest
93 toyota tercel....running awful

I am trying to fix a condition on my Tercel 140,000(non-egr 3-e)...I was having a real rough idle in drive and reverse(would die at a stop in gear)..replaced all vacuum hose,CO2 sensor....new plugs....stayed the same....yesterday installed new cap rotor plug wires,,,pvc...now it wants to hesitate on deaccelration(when i take my foot pressure slightly off the pedal(there seems to be no inbetween acceration point---It seems like when i'm going 30- 40 mph and I press the gas it really takes off and when i let off a little I get nothing(like a bog)...I also noticed when in neutral and rpms up around 1500-1800 it idles up and down from like 500 to 1500 rpm(this also happens in drive at like 15 mph...I ran my codes and got a air/fuel ratio lean malfunction....checked for air leaks and such....I guess my next step would be fuel filter(Im just worried Ill break the bottom line..on very tight).I can put up with the idle problem but 17-18 mpg is pretty bad for this car.

thanks for your help(im having trouble sllping obver this one) LOL

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-05, 01:11 PM
Your problem is the idle is too high and it’s going into fuel cut.

Problem is why is the idle too high:

Check the basics… Ign Timing, Timing belt

Did someone mess with the idle stop screw? Make sure there is slack in the accelerator cable. Other things are vac leak, plugged filter/ port for MAP sensor on the plenum. Could be a sticking idle air control valve, also low on coolant causing an air pocket at the idle control valve?

Old 09-04-05, 02:15 PM
mousitch
Visiting Guest
Well i found part of my up/down rpm problem(i screwed with the TPS yesterday and moved it....I moved it back and now it stopped doing the rpm dance....still running rough and seems to be getting bad GM...where would the map sensor be found? on the thottle body?....Also would you have any tips on getting that stubborn bottom line on the fuel filter...thanks I really appreciate the suggestions

thanks

Old 09-04-05, 03:25 PM
TPS wacked out will do it.....you kinda omitted you touched it!

Old 09-04-05, 05:32 PM
mousitch
Visiting Guest
WOW...ran 1/2 a can of seafoam through the pcv line to the TB and it runs like a new(used) car....Still a small rough idle...but nothing like it had...great stuff! Put a little in the crankcase and it quieted it way down. Sorry I forgot about dicking with the TPS(I have a bad habit of screwing with things) thanks for the help again

Old 09-08-05, 03:38 PM
mousitch
Visiting Guest
tercel gas milage way off

Well, i got it running better with the seafoam ..but the mileage has stayed the same (20 mpg)...The engine light is on full time now code says lean/air condition...I am at a loss...changed everything but MAP-TPS-COIL and fuel filter....replaced my rear brkes a while back (they dont seem to be dragging)...Any help TOYOTAMAN or any one else could give would be appreciated(the pump is killing me ) thanks

Old 09-08-05, 04:00 PM
Check the basics… Ign Timing, Timing belt
Did you?

Old 09-08-05, 05:47 PM
mousitch
Visiting Guest
timing is next.....I just didnt think that would affect my mpg that much....I will do sat morn and let you know how its running...thanks

Old 09-08-05, 06:01 PM
It has more effect than changing parts, also the "basics" are the most overlooked.

Search this Thread