Dead battry

Old 09-04-05, 05:14 PM
Question Dead battry

I have a 1977 Datson PU 620.4 banger.

My prob. is the battry. It is good, how do I know. Well I recharged it out of the truck to full charge then let it set for three days. I tested it with a a meter and it had 12+ volts for the three days. I then put it in the truck and it started right up. Prob. solvded; WRONG After about a day or two I tried to start the truck again. Guess what dead BATTRY.
I must have a short to ground.
Where does a person start so as to be able to locate this short? Then go to where then where?

HELP
Don

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-05, 05:28 PM
boxley
Visiting Guest
check the alternator

charge battery, put on truck and start the motor, put your meter across the 2 battery terminals, you should see between 13.5 and 14 volts if your alternator is good. Anything under 13 indicates a charging problem.
thanx,
bill

Old 09-04-05, 06:33 PM
Lightbulb Charged as indicated

The battrey was charged and the truck started, the voltage was good. I need to know where to start first, then second, then so on checking where a short to ground might be. I do not need to check the alternator to see if it is charging. That does not make it discharge while setting around after a day or two.

Don

Old 09-05-05, 06:03 AM
620 good truck

I had one of those little trucks bought it brand new got over 200 thousand hard driven miles from it had a weber carb kit headers etc.
Anyway do you have any extra stuff on it like alarm,trailor hookup or stereo,?

Old 09-05-05, 09:42 AM
Question I got

The only thing I have extra is a hot wired set up for trailer light.

I bought the truck new and now has over 200000 miles on it.
Got any other ideas?

Don

Old 09-05-05, 11:57 AM
The alt has 6 diodes inside if one shorts out the battery can back feed the alt discharging it.
checking the charging voltage may or may not show a problem.

Did you turn off your interior light ?
How old is the battery ?
You can pull the fuses to narrow it down.

Old 09-05-05, 05:34 PM
how old is battery

Ok just because the battery starts truck for a few days does not mean it is good batterys last about 4 years.Is this your daily driver?If not charge it up and dissconnect the cables and let it sit for 3 days and see what happens also you might swap in another battery and see if it drains.
The 620 does not have alot that can mess up.You can also start by pulling fuses one at a time.

Old 09-05-05, 05:51 PM
Thumbs down See above

By looking above you will notice that I had indicated that I charged the battery to full charge then let it set fdor 2 or 3 days with no cables attached. I then checked after that and it had a full charged. hooked it up and started up the truck.
A few days later it was DEAD

NOW WHAT

Don

Old 09-05-05, 06:09 PM
sorry

connect an small light between the + terminal and the clamp. Put the clamp on a rag so it can't touch the sheet metal. If any drain is present the light will glow. Or you can check the amount of drain with an small ammeter. An drain of 1-2 Watts can be tolerated. Next pull the fuse for the mechanic clock and the radio. Still any current flowing (light on)?

Ok, so you really have a problem. Now start pulling the fuses in the fuse box one by one until the light goes off. This is the circuit in which the problem lies. Check your manual or the indications in the cover of the fuse box to see which systems are connected to that fuse.