starting woes

Old 09-04-05, 06:51 PM
wadger
Visiting Guest
starting woes

My friend has a 1994 ranger, 4 banger, manual transmisison. Almost every time he gets in the thing to start it, he has to turn the key about 6-7 times before the starter engages. Once the starter decides to engage, the truck starts w/ no problem. When the key is turned the first 6-7 times, nothing happens, its acts just like it would if you tried to start it without the clutch fully depressed. You can hear a feint "click" at the ignition which sounds to me like it's sending juice to the starter.

This has been going on for probably almost 2 years - I'm inclined to think that the starter isn't "on its way out" as this has been happening forever and the battery seems to be obviously good as it cranks fine once the starter actually engages. Has anyone else had similar problems??? I'm wondering if their is a clutch switch or maybe his ignition cylinder has been going bad. Maybe it IS a starter solenoid or something. Just looking for some suggestions. Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-05, 06:54 PM
Is it possible that there is bad teeth on starter's drive wheel or maybe broken teeth on the flywheel.

Old 09-04-05, 07:13 PM
A loose or corroded battery cable
Or the clutch safety switch
Those would be high on my list

Old 09-05-05, 05:32 AM
Group Moderator
If you can find someone to loan you (or you could buy a cheap one) a remote starter switch, you can probably eliminate some of the suspects. The remote starter connects directly to the starter which would bypass the ignition switch and clutch safety switch (make SURE it's in neutral ) If you still get the click, but no crank, starter probably bad.