Explorer Running Rough (Misfire)

Old 09-06-05, 12:27 PM
Explorer Running Rough (Misfire)

The past few mornings that it has been wet out, (raining, humid, or lots of condensation) in the morning, my 96 Explorer 4L v-6 has run very rough until it seems to warm up. It will accelerate very sluggishly, and then will finally seem like somethings just kicks in and it runs normal. The truck has 200K and has been taken care of pretty well. This morning while the sluggish acceleration was occurring the check engine light blinked for about 15 seconds and now is on constant. I have a generic code tester and it say P0300 (blinking), P0301, and P0305 (both steady). Which apparently indicates random misfires and misfires in cylinder and cylinder 5 respectivley. I changed the plugs on the truck about a year ago, but did not change the wires. Could this be the problem or does anyone have any suggestions on what may be causing the sluggish problem only when its wet out? and now the CE light? Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-05, 02:09 PM
checking the plug wires and spark plugs closely for any carbon tracks a carbon track will look like a dark line running down the side of the spark plug ceramic or inside the plug boot replace both the wire and plug if any are found.
sounds like an ignition problem probably wires or plugs but could be a coil pack also.

Old 09-06-05, 02:16 PM
Group Moderator
Might not be the same situation, of course, but I had the same symptom on a 92 olds with 240 K miles and changing the spark plug wires fixed it.

Old 09-14-05, 09:43 AM
My mercedes seems to be doing the same thing, but no check engine light. Also, why does it go away after it warms up.

Old 09-14-05, 11:52 AM
condensation in the distributer cap......cause spark to jump around across to your #5 inside the cap. Whichever #is beside #5. Its jumping across causing the misfire. When it warms up the condensation is dryed out and it is fine.................Put a new distributer cap/rotor.

Take the Distributer cap off one morning, if it has condensation inside it then thats the problem.

Old 09-15-05, 08:20 PM
check the resistance of the wires with an ohm meter

Old 09-16-05, 01:14 AM
jpotts461
Visiting Guest
Rainy and humid = electrical arcing.Also look at the coil/coil Paks. Cap and rotor and wires. $ 35.00 cheaper than a Cat replacement. Misfires eat up your CAT pretty quick. At 200k it needs to run smooth cause it can approach its life span quickly if it is run with misfires. The blinking is telling you to fix it now not later. Yes it will go away where you do not feel it but the problem is going on even if you do not feel it. Your computer is trying as hard as it can to lean the misfiring banks to adjust cat emissions to adjust for the raw fuel going into the Cat.

Old 09-16-05, 07:07 AM
Thanks for all of the advice. I am going to change the ignition coil and wires this weekend and let you know how things turnout.

Old 09-16-05, 09:29 AM
Engine Misfire

I experienced the same problem with my 96 Explorer Eddie Bauer, 84K. Low mileage since I only drive it once in a while. But, last labor day weekend after I drove it for about 600 miles, it happened (sluggish, shakes, hesitates) when I started the engine first thing in the morning - Change Engine light came on. Scanner said engine #6 misfire detected. Thanks for any advise.

Old 09-16-05, 11:30 AM
DNT1
Visiting Guest
Get that vehicle into a dark area and mist the inside of engine compartment especially the spark plug wires with water, start it up and you will probably have a light show to watch. Yes new OEM dealer plug wires should be installed for a long term fix I do not like the Mcauto wires.

Old 09-18-05, 07:30 PM
Smile Thanks

Thanks to everyone that offered advice. I changed the ignition coil and wires. Found that the plug that goes into the the coil for cylinder 5 was completely corroded. So much so that the metal tip for the wire was completley disintegrated into the igniton coil receptacle. All that was left in both was a blue-ish crusty substance. So far things look to be corrected.
Thanks again!!!

Old 10-01-05, 12:52 PM
Lightbulb Engine light still on

I have changed the plugs and cable, but still idles rough. Could it be a dirty fuel injector? or does the coil need to be replaced? (Scanner said detected misfire on eng #6 - a 1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer, 6 cyl, 85K). Low mileage - used occasionally. A week afer I drove this vehicle for ~ 700 miles, the check engine light came on. Thanks for any additional advice.

Old 10-02-05, 10:23 AM
bigmuffler22
Visiting Guest
[your distubuter might have mosture in it if it does wipe it out and check all your hoses you might have one thats off or not sealed but see if you hear a sssssssssssssss noise

Old 10-03-05, 06:52 AM
I read in my Haynes manual there is a way to test the coil to see if it needs to be replaced. I did not do it since mine was so fouled (as described above) that it had to be replaced. If you have a manual take a look in there, or maybe someone here knows how to test. In case you want to know, the replacement coil cost about $80.00 and the hardest part of its installation was labelling the plug wires, though i found later the manual also told me which went where.

Old 10-04-05, 04:50 PM
if your explorer is a 4.0 engine you need to replace upper intake gasket, gasket is a rubber o'ring , try this i think you will be fixed, by the way don't change any injectors that not the problem.

Old 10-07-05, 12:52 PM
Yes, it is a 4.0 engine, but specifically, where is this upper intake gasket located? Thanks for your help.