98 Ford Contour SE 4 Cyl Timing Belt (On 3rd Timing Belt)

Old 09-07-05, 09:11 AM
98 Ford Contour SE 4 Cyl Timing Belt (On 3rd Timing Belt)

I have a 1998 Ford Contour with 67,000 miles on it. I am well aware of the industry standard 60,000 mile service on rubber timing belts. I have always changed them before they failed in the high 60's or very low 70's. However, at 63,000 miles, I had a timing belt failure. It turns out the timing belt itself did not fail, it was the timing belt tension pully and the belt disintegrated. To be safe instead of sorry, I replaced all of the pullies and of course the timing belt tension pully (I did the timing chain myself). The car had a slight miss due to one bad wires but appeared to run BRAND NEW after this was resolved!! The car sat for a year and I recently put it on the road. It had no more than 3000 miles on the new belt. The timing belt failed again. This time, I had no choice to take it to a mechanic because it was out of state. The mechanic tells me it was the timing chain tension pully failed? Maybe I installed it incorrectly? Has anyone had any experience with this car?

Is this car a lemon? I am thinking about getting rid of it or driving it as a backup car. It looks good but seems to be falling apart.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-05, 10:10 AM
Is there any chance you car backfires? I mention this because our company just released a patent for a new tensioner design that prevents belt damage from backfire.

Old 09-07-05, 10:14 AM
The car never back fired.

Old 09-07-05, 12:47 PM
more than likely you just got a defective part, plus sitting for a year didnt do it much good either.
contours and mercury equivalant the mystic, often have alot of mechanical and electrical problems you may want to get rid of it before something else goes wrong.

Search this Thread