Replaced Water pump, new thermostat problem

Old 09-10-05, 06:59 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replaced Water pump, new thermostat problem

1997 Pontiac Trans-sport Montana.

106k miles

Last night, i replaced the water pump due to a leak. this solved the leak problem, but now the thermostat is sticking. during idle conditions it will stay just above 1/2 on guage for a little bit, then run up to just under redline . when under throttle, it drops down very rapidly to just above 1/4 on the gauge.

we refilled the coolant at both the radiator and the resevior after the pump change.

prior to the repair, it always stayed at just above 1/4 on the gauge.

i am wondering if i have air in the system.

Thanks in advance.

extra stuff:

six months ago, the thermostat went out and we overheated the engine and blew a head gasket to the tune of $1500. the motor has run excellent ever since. (with the exception of the a/c which has NOT worked since, but the repair shop maintains that they didnt touch the a/c during the repair)

Old 09-10-05, 08:18 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You may have some air if you did not open the vent valve when refilling the coolant.
With the engine cool, open the vent valve located on the thermostat housing. Fill thru radiator neck until coolant can be seen flowing from the vent valve. Close the vent valve and continue to fill the radiator to the base of the fill neck. Properly and securely install and tight the radiator cap.

Old 09-10-05, 09:07 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
worked like a charm!

Thank you very very much.

Old 09-11-05, 10:13 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Glad to help. You've got to "burp" your baby.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: