Thottle Cables

Old 09-11-05, 03:29 PM
Question Thottle Cables

on my 91 grand am theres a cable that run to the trans and up to the thottle body, whats does that cable do, because it wasnt hooked up and i hooked it up and see no different?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-05, 06:34 PM
Usually that's called a "kickdown"

cable, when the throttle is wide open it causes the trasmission to downshift, allowing you you speed up quicker. Normally, you only notice this when you're trying to pass someone on the highway. The cable may be out of adjustment or streched out and is no longer working properly.

But, I'm not 100% percent sure that's this cable is for, because on today's cars the computer would sense wide-open throttle (via the TPS) and downshift the tranny itself, thus eliminating the need for the cable.

The only other thing I can think of is a cruise control cable. Does this car have cruise control? Usually there will be a cable running from the throttle to a vacuum unit. These can be mounted in several different locations, but usually they are on the firewall, towards the top, where the orginal throttle cable came out.

I hope this helped!

Old 09-11-05, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by Desy2820
cable, when the throttle is wide open it causes the trasmission to downshift, allowing you you speed up quicker. Normally, you only notice this when you're trying to pass someone on the highway. The cable may be out of adjustment or streched out and is no longer working properly.

But, I'm not 100% percent sure that's this cable is for, because on today's cars the computer would sense wide-open throttle (via the TPS) and downshift the tranny itself, thus eliminating the need for the cable.

The only other thing I can think of is a cruise control cable. Does this car have cruise control? Usually there will be a cable running from the throttle to a vacuum unit. These can be mounted in several different locations, but usually they are on the firewall, towards the top, where the orginal throttle cable came out.

I hope this helped!

i have 3 cables running to the thottle body, cruise control cable, pedal cable and the one that goes to the trans. a guy at napa said it might be for the TCC that is is the trans