Honda Accord 1991

Old 09-12-05, 10:11 AM
drabasa
Visiting Guest
Honda Accord 1991

Hello Everyone;
I would really like to ask what you think about the following problem with my car
I have a Honda Accord 1991, and recently the sport light started flashing and at the same time the speedodmeter goes back and foward between the "real speed " of the car and 0
Not only that, I also noticed that the rpm drastically falls when I realese my foot from gas.
can anyone tell me what may be wrong with it?
Thanks so much, and any comment is appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-05, 02:58 PM
drabasa
Visiting Guest
Please Answer

Hey everyone,
I would really like to have an opinion in this issue,
Thxs

Old 09-13-05, 04:30 AM
Group Moderator
Until one of the pro's rings in, I would have the alternator checked both for output and for freedom of rotation.

Old 09-13-05, 11:32 AM
Hi Drabasa, I own 1990 Honda Accord. I think your speed sensor is bad. I got this same problem a couple years back and it was fixed after replace the new speed sensor. Wouldn't rpm suppose to drop a lot after you release gas paddle? Do you mean your speed meter drop?

Old 09-13-05, 05:14 PM
Flux-engineer
Visiting Guest
I agree with the speed sensor diagnosis as above. It is most likely a dealer part and you may or may not want to attempt replacing it yourself. Most shops will charge you to diagnose this problem to confirm this...cheers.

Old 09-14-05, 10:19 AM
I have replaced my speed sensor myself and it is very easy to do it yourself. The part I got from Honda dealer in another state which is much cheaper than local Honda dealer. I guess they sell much cheaper for internet customers. Later, I also found I can buy it from other internet parts store with even cheaper price. In terms of how you can diagnose, you can short a diagnose switch located under dash of front passenger side. It is just right on top of your right foot if you sit on front passenger seat. The steps are as below. Good luck!
1. turn off engine
2. short this switch use a piece of wire or paper clip
3. turn on your key, but don't start engine
4. look at the engine light on the dash
5. engine light will flash long and following short flash
6. count how many long and how many short flash and the way it flash
7. send me what you get and I will look into my Hanyes manual see you got the same error code as I got.
8l. if you don't get the count right or want to double check again, you will need to erase this code first by pull off one of fuse (I forgot which one it is, but I remember it is in the corner which is closest to driver side) in the engine compartment and put it back to erase it.

Old 09-14-05, 03:38 PM
drabasa
Visiting Guest
Speed sensor

To eveyone, thanks for the answers,
daymian;
Where did you get the part? Can you send me the link to that website?
When you say, error codes, what do you mean? how do you avoid those?
Thnxs

Old 09-15-05, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by drabasa
To eveyone, thanks for the answers,
daymian;
Where did you get the part? Can you send me the link to that website?
When you say, error codes, what do you mean? how do you avoid those?
Thnxs
There are many places you can get your Honda parts. I used to see on-line part picture and get the part number from one of Honda dealers to make sure I got the right part, then use this part number to order from other on-line OEM. Honda dealer I used is www.slhondaparts.com and the speed sensor part #78410-SY0-003 ($125.51) for my 1990 Honda LX 4 door AT none CA emission. If you have the same as mine and only the year is different, the part is the same. You can see the picture and location in your car. I used to get it cheap from www.eautopartstore.com by type in dealer part number to get the price. None member is $98.14 and member is $94.05. Shipping is free over $50 per order. You can just register to become a member in about 2-3 days or call their 800 number. I remembered I paid for ~$150 from one of Honda dealer in OK before I found these two web sites.

Whenever there is wrong with your car, your car computer may or may not throw an error code. Then, you can either scan it use scanner to get it or in my case I can short wire in one of switch I told you earlier and get flashing which represents error code on your engine light when you just turn on your key, but not start engine. It will do that every time you turn on your key until you reset it. After fixing your speed sensor, you want to reset it to clear this error code so that you will not get it again with new speed sensor. Let me know if you need more help. Good Luck!

Search this Thread