Transmission pan gasket?

Old 09-12-05, 02:23 PM
rdarr40
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Transmission pan gasket?

2000 Chrysler LHS w/ 3.5L V6 Automatic transmission.

I just purchased Mopar transmission fluid and a Mopar transmission filter from the local dealer. I asked about a transmission pan gasket and the parts guy said their isn't one and I should just use silicone.

The last time I changed my transmission fluid I got filter kit from Napa that had a gasket. I am pretty sure there was a factory gasket that I removed but I am not sure.

Is it ok to not use a gasket and only use silicone? I thought it was the other way around.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-05, 05:55 PM
I prefer using a gasket. The ATF that keeps dripping from the transmission body when the pan is off precludes a good bond when using silicone or rtv sealant.

Usually I get a cork gasket when I buy a new trans filter. Some manufacturers now use a reuseable gasket. You can tell because it's typically made of a thick rubber. I hope that's not what you threw out on your previous transmission service.

Old 09-12-05, 10:15 PM
Auto trans pan is no place for silicon.... Some of this sealer will ALWAYS squeeze into the pan... If it is not fully cured, it will combine with the ATF to form very thin strings which seem to infiltrate nearly any place they desire.

With the high cost of "advanced" auto repairs, I can only suggest that DIYers avoid any shortcuts or techniques that can add complications....

Old 09-13-05, 08:21 AM
Silicone

Hi rdarr40,
This is a case of the exception to the rule.

I have been in the transmission industry for 25 years (self employeed for 10) . I agree with the dealer on this. The Chrysler transmission pan in question is designed for use with silicone, it is normally a flat surface with no rib to help seal a gasket. On the later model Chrysler products we have used silicone exclusively. That is the way it comes from the factory. You want to make sure there is no trace of transmission fluid on either surface though when you install the pan or the silicone will not adhere. You do not need to use an excessive amount. We put about a 1/4 inch bead on and smooth it out with your finger across the surface of the pan.

The reuaseable pan gaskets are a steel core with a rubber outer surface.

Old 09-13-05, 05:03 PM
Flux-engineer
Visiting Guest
Chrysler uses silicone because it has less chance of leaking. It has to be super clean to work properly. So if you want no leaks use silicone, otherwise a gasket is easier and cleaner to install.