economical repair

Old 09-13-05, 09:21 PM
mr_barley
Visiting Guest
economical repair

hi all,
i am planning on getting a "service" vehicle to run on site service calls. looking for something "cheap" and understand that with "cheap" come repairs. any ideas on 4 cyl. vehicles that are easy to repair? (makes / models)? type of repairs i am talking about would be alternator, water pump, thermostat,brakes, muffler,heater core, timing belt / chain. bad deals i've had were 88 grand am (timing gear / chain) lost the 1st at 72000 and at 140,000 the second went out. had it repaired the 1st time at a cost of over $900 because i was told engine had to be pulled to replace it. $100.00 parts , $800.00 labor. then i got a 1996 lumina and went thru the lower intake problems only to have the engine overheat and die 3 months later.looks and style aren't important. ease of replacement and parts availability are

looking forward to hearing comments

(sorry if this is considered "off-topic") but this is where the Repair help is the best and i am trying to get info that people who have done these type of repairs can offer)

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-05, 04:27 AM
Group Moderator
Get a Toyota. If a pickup truck fits in with your planned use a good used Toy truck will give you lots of years/miles of service and the failure rate on the major items tends to be much lower than other makes. I sold our '94 not too long ago (in exchange for car for daughter) for $2500. It had about 170k miles on it, but still had, if I recall, all of the factory major parts and accessories. Previously had a 1981 model (about 20 years ago) and it went well over 100k with no problems. Been driving Toyotas for almost 30 years and have never, I repeat never, replaced either an alternator or a starter, even on our most recent former car, a '95 Camry, that went to the next owner w/>175k miles.

Old 09-14-05, 06:31 PM
mr_barley
Visiting Guest
thanks for your opinion.

Old 09-14-05, 06:44 PM
DNT1
Visiting Guest
get yourself a full size domestic 2wd PU truck they are much easier to work on than the little cars with the engine turned sideways, plus parts are readily avaliable the toyota parts will make your wallet cringe. 97 chevy PU 305 V8 auto 277k still going strong. You can pick up a plain PU four or five years old with maybe a couple of dents and a cig burn or two in the seat with low miles for a song, that is the way I would go.

Old 09-15-05, 06:36 AM
Im with the toyota

I also say get the Toyota Looks easy to work on (never have had to) skip all the bells and whistles.Looking at the layout belts are easy to change alternator is out in the open it looks pretty old school.Go with the 4 banger good on gas and with the price of gas nowdays you know what I mean.
Unless you need to tow a big boat or carry 2000 pounds of brick you dont really need a big pickup.
My last Toyota a 86 model lasted well over 2 hundred thousand miles and it was tight as the day I bought it.
My full size 89 Chevy only lasted about 160 thousand miles (not trouble free) and was nickle and diminig me to death got 13 mpg and I had to plan a parking spot cause it had a turning radius of a rope.But is was a 3/4 ton and I have to admit when driving it made my head swell because I could run over little Honda cars if I wanted.

Old 09-15-05, 06:56 AM
The Toy Trucks with the 22-R or 22-RE engines are easy to work on, hard to kill
I enjoy working on the 305s and 302s also, but the bay is starting to get cramped on the more modern trucks, the 4.9 (Ford's 300 straight six) is a torquey guy and leaves lot's of working room under the hood

It sounds like your looking for a sedan though?

Old 09-15-05, 11:46 PM
jpotts461
Visiting Guest
Ford Ranger 4 or 6 cylinder are real good. I have 3 with 140,000 the lowest milage and all have the original parts. I have only changed brakes, batteries and oil. All burn less than 1/2 qt of oil in 3,000 miles. The Toy R22 is another fine vehicle as you can see from other posts. The fords just seem to take the heat of South Texas better for me. All get around 22-26 mpg. As far as the 4 door vehiles I would look for a Toyota with the R22 engine that seems to be the best. I have not heard of a Ford or Nissan That was good. Stay away from the whistles and bells. Look for a 1 owner car adult only driven. There are plenty with sevice records. Buy from a upper middle class neighborhood.

I did forget 1 vehicle. That is the older Mercedes 300 and 300 sd. Lots of real nice 1 owner used cars. Proably cheaper than the trucks. They are 5 X better vehicles also. They just never break. I sold my last one to a friend and it had 560,000 miles on it. I drove it 420,000 of those miles. He is still driving it at 700,000+ miles. Total engine repair cost was 1 water pump and 2 glow plugs, 2 a/c compressors (american made) Repair cost I did my own labor and they are the easiest vehicle I have ever worked on was about $ 700.00; 500.00 was for the a/c's. Break job takes maybe 1 hour and parts are $ 22.00 just pull the pin and slip them in. Rotors never needed turning !!!!

Old 09-17-05, 04:53 AM
Group Moderator
We have a roll-back tow truck we're selling. Lots of cargo space for whatever you need to carry around.

Old 09-18-05, 08:55 PM
mr_barley
Visiting Guest
car would be best

actually i am looking for a 3 door hatchback or a small 4 door. mostly carry computer parts and printers. (one workstation at a time) so it doesn't have to be too big.
i am using a 1991 geo metro now but it has some tranny issues.
(no third gear) runs fine at up to 50 mph but over that it really whines. (i use surface roads instead of expressways for now). last week was slightly above average, just entered milage info and ran 696 miles last week.

thanks for all the input

Old 09-20-05, 09:04 AM
vwbr
Visiting Guest
I would go with a 90's Civic or accord. Good on gas, practically bullet proof.