93 Volvo Question

Old 09-14-05, 12:08 PM
93 Volvo Question

Hi, just purchased above vehicle and it runs great. Just for good measure I replaced the surpentine belt and the timing belt before either one lets go. Really a nice car. the problem I inherited was the blower motor for the interior heater-a/c-defrosters. It does not come on with the speed control switch. also the temperature dial cluster does not light up, as I assume these 2 problems are related. Is it an easy pull to take out the blower and bench test it? Or Do you think it is a temperature cluster switching problem? Oh, it's a 850 sedan.
Thanks.

Last edited by Bob53; 09-14-05 at 12:41 PM. Reason: more info on model
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-05, 08:29 PM
Check the blower fuse 1st.
No need to pull the blower if you can get to the electrical connection and apply 12V and ground to it with it installed to see if it will work. If it does, check easiest stuff 1st, like the relay. The lights are probably a different problem unless there is a wiring harness that has connections to both the switch and lights that is the problem.

Old 09-15-05, 05:46 AM
Thanks for the reply. so, I can just sort of bench test it in place with some wires & clips coming from the battery? And then if the motor turns, I am looking at something other than the motor. You mentioned the relay? I would find the relay between the fuse box and the blower correct? Hopefully, in close approximation to the blower.
THANKS!

Old 09-15-05, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by Bob53
Thanks for the reply. so, I can just sort of bench test it in place with some wires & clips coming from the battery? And then if the motor turns, I am looking at something other than the motor. You mentioned the relay? I would find the relay between the fuse box and the blower correct? Hopefully, in close approximation to the blower.
THANKS!
Yes you can bench test it that way. It's best to use a wire with an inline fuse on the 12V wire (same size fuse as the blower fuse) but you should be ok, with no fuse, if you just touch it for a second at 1st to see if it spins. Make sure you don't let the 2 wires touch. Use 18 gauge or lower gauge test wires. Also test for voltage at the connector that plugs into the blower. You should have approx. 12V there when the switch is on high (with key on, selector set to a/c, vent, etc.). If you don't have this, there is no need to check the blower till you solve this problem, unless you just want to go ahead and test it while you're down there. The relay is probably in the fuse box near the steering wheel or under the hood. Look in your owner's manual for it if you have it.

Make sure you check the blower fuse 1st so you don't waste time if thats the problem.

Old 09-18-05, 06:21 AM
Thank you both!

Search this Thread