Windstar transmission

Old 09-15-05, 06:57 AM
Windstar transmission

At 70 mph at cruise, the trans just went neutral. No abrupt jolts or noise. Towed it home checked fluid level ok and pulled pan, and found no metal. Filter looks ok, and fluid looks good. Gear selector works normal turning on reverse light and locking trans into park as noted with wheels off of the ground. Checked all fuses, and wiring connections and all cks normal.
The Windstar is barely worth having a trans rebuild which is what the shop will do whether it needs it or not, so I'm trying to eliminate the easy fixes. Any ideas?
Thank you in advance,
Rick

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-05, 09:51 AM
Possible pump shaft

Hi Rick,

This sounds very typical for the Windstar transmission. We often find the pump shaft is the problem due to the support bearing "chewing" it up. We have had success in removing the side cover and valvebody to install a new pumpshaft and bearing. A repair like this usually runs around $650.00 for parts and labor around the midwest. Hope this helps.

Old 09-15-05, 11:03 AM
Thanks, and now to find a shop that won't just go for the whole tranny.

Old 09-15-05, 11:25 AM
I would suggest looking for an A.T.R.A. (Automatic Transmission Repair Association) member transmission repair facility. They pay an annual fee to be a memeber and will usually list it in the phone book.

Old 09-15-05, 12:58 PM
Is a place like AAMCO good for this? I live in the Chicagoland area, so there's a plethera of repair facilities, but it's hard to find who isn't a shiester.

Old 09-15-05, 01:47 PM
My records are listing 5 ATRA members in Chicago. I am not sure if the rules will allow me to give names out. I would call around and describe the problem and see if they have the answer, (I have never seen your car). If they do then I would ask for an estimate, if they don't know and you have to tell them then I would be cautious but I would still request an estimate. I don't know how things in Chicago work but here I am required by law if asked to give a written estimate. I understand the uncomfortable feeling you are expieriencing. It makes my line of work more difficult. I make it my goal to make everybody as informed as I can so they can feel more at ease. Knowledge is the key to life. Everybody is fixing transmissions I am also offering service. Best of luck and let me know how things work out for you.

Old 09-15-05, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the advice, and I will use it. I am an aircraft mechanic for UAL, and see how in our business we have many who will not take the time to troubleshoot, and they just change parts. It costs the customer(UAL in my case) tons of money just because someone is either incompetent, or lazy, and that makes me worry when I have to rely on outside services. Then you throw money into the equasion for the repair facility, and some less than honest people can take advantage. I have come across many good and honest auto mechanics out there who I would gladly work right along side with working on jet engines, or anything, and I have also met a couple who are arrogant, stupid and greedy.
Oh well life is full of chances.
Thanks again,
Rick