Squeaky Belt

Old 09-15-05, 10:55 AM
trosi001
Visiting Guest
Squeaky Belt

1996 Dodge Stratus has a squeeky belt which is located on the left side (when facing the car) under the hood....is this the serpentine belt? Can I fix it myself or do I have to take it in? It squeeks at start-up and stops with acceleration. The edges appear a little frayed, but it doesn't look like it's going to tear.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-05, 12:35 PM
it way need to be tightened

Old 09-15-05, 06:20 PM
trosi001
Visiting Guest
Ok Well I am a girl and not very experienced with fixing my car...but I really want to learn. The belt seems hard to get to. Is it the belt itself that is loose or is what the belt is on too loose? Please be patient with me!
Thank You

Old 09-15-05, 08:06 PM
Flux-engineer
Visiting Guest
Hi there.......more than than likely the belt (or belts) will have to be replaced. Most newer vehicles are not that easy for your average person to replace...once you know how, no problem...but it may require a special tool or some perserverance to replace it. I would suggest you take it to a local trustworthy repair shop and have them replace all your belts. Hope that helps, cheers!!

Edit: To be honest, with newer vehicles they are often getting harder to work on...they are designed that way....but there are some things you could do yourself like spark plugs, maybe front brakes and oil changes....just get help from a friend who knows what their doin....

Old 09-15-05, 08:43 PM
thats right

Yes some of the newer cars you need to remove the top engine mount 96 buick was like that.I think they do that so you take it in and get it done,

Old 09-15-05, 08:46 PM
trosi001
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the notes all. Is the belt that is responsible for most engine operations called the serpentine belt? (Looking at the engine this is the only belt that is visible). I'd just like to know for when I do go and ask about getting it fixed.

Old 09-15-05, 09:48 PM
Flux-engineer
Visiting Guest
yes if you have one belt its called the serpentine belt.

Old 09-16-05, 01:28 AM
jpotts461
Visiting Guest
You can get your oil changed and belt replaced at most good lube places for under $ 50.00 and be out in under 30 min. Or you could do it yourself get all dirty and spend 2-4 hours and save $ 25.00 if you get a loaner tool from Autozone.