Clunking Noise

Old 09-16-05, 06:28 AM
Electric_Menace
Visiting Guest
Question Clunking Noise

Hey guys,
I started hearing a clunking noise in my front end while making sharp turns in and out of the parking spaces.
I took my car for diagnostics and the mechanic said it was my driver side inner tie rod.
The only thing I don't understand is what would make it clunk like that.
The rod is just a straight piece of metal attached to the steering gear with a nut and on the other end to the adjustment sleeve that goes to the outer tie rod. There are no bushings, joints or anything. ??????

Anyway, if I had to replace the inner rod, my hanes manual makes no mention on it except when removing the steering gear. I really don;t want to do that.
I saw autozone has some special tools for removing the inner rod, but I am not sure how to use it, as in from where to approach the retaining nuts and the plate (bottom, top??)..
Please let me know if you have any advice or comments.

DODGE Intrepid 97' 3.5 AutoStick

THanks

Last edited by Electric_Menace; 09-16-05 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Changed Steering column to Steering Gear
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-05, 09:27 AM
Electric_Menace
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Thanks a bunch (NOT)

Well thanks for all the non-existent help.
Anyway after searching and searching I found an article that describes the fix for inner rods on older model Intrepids:
Here is the link..
(replace hxxp: with http

hxxp://www.allpar.com/fix/intrepid-steering.html#fig2

Old 09-21-05, 10:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Not The Tie Rod-it's The Lighter

If It Were The Tie Rod, You Would Notice It As Loose Steering Or Thumping While Driving Not Just Parking. One Wheel Would Have Play In It Like A Loose Tooth. Three Wheels Would Track In A Straight Line And One Will Vary +/- A Fraction Of A Degree.

Jack Up The Car One Wheel At A Time. Hold The Tire At 3 And 9 O'clock. Try To Rock It Back And Forth. You Will Find One Looser Then The Others If It Is A Tie Rod Or Bad Bearings, But Bad Bearings Should Growl Or Feel Rough When You Spin The Tire.

I Think Your Problem Is A Loose Cigarette Lighter Or The Empty Beer Bottle In The Glove Box Sliding Around.

Now Everyone Who Disagrees With Me Will Bury You With Responses.

Good Luck.