00 Jetta won't start

Old 09-17-05, 07:14 AM
disoriented
Visiting Guest
00 Jetta won't start

Hi. I have a 2000 VW Jetta (manual transmission) that can't start. The stereo and remote keys does not work, but the lights on the dashboard work. The needles on the fuel and temperature guage shake as they move up. There is a clicking sound when I turn the keys.

I've tried jumpstarting it, but it doesn't work. There is a very brief starting sound as opposed to just the clicking when the jump cables are not attached. Also, the stereo works with the cables attached. I'd like to just change the batteries, but it seems like there is another problem since it can't be jumped.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

dis

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-05, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by disoriented
Hi. I have a 2000 VW Jetta (manual transmission) that can't start. The stereo and remote keys does not work, but the lights on the dashboard work. The needles on the fuel and temperature guage shake as they move up. There is a clicking sound when I turn the keys.

I've tried jumpstarting it, but it doesn't work. There is a very brief starting sound as opposed to just the clicking when the jump cables are not attached. Also, the stereo works with the cables attached. I'd like to just change the batteries, but it seems like there is another problem since it can't be jumped.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

dis
Try jump starting again but this time leave the cables hooked up for at least 5 minutes longer before you start it. It sounds like it would have started if you had given it more time. Sometimes jumpstarting works right away, sometimes you have to wait a little while and give the battery some time to charge up some.

Being a 2000, it's probably time for a new battery so have it tested somewhere, normally a free test at most auto part stores.

Old 09-17-05, 11:46 AM
disoriented
Visiting Guest
Thanks.

A friend is currently trying to remove the battery so we can get it to an auto parts store for testing. It is hell trying to remove that thing. There are bolts in places that are hard to reach. We had to run to the store to get some tiny sockets. Why do they make it sooooo hard. I had the same problem trying to change the headlights on the passenger side, which took me about an hour and a half... the battery was in the way! I had to squeeze my hand in that little crevice and just feel my way around. It would've been easier if the battery was removed, but I didn't feel like messing with it. Sorry for the rant.

Thanks again. Hopefully all will be well with a new battery.