2001 Pontiac Sunfire blowers

Old 09-17-05, 01:29 PM
2001 Pontiac Sunfire blowers

Hi, I have what I think is a smiple problem but I don't know for sure. I want to see if I can fix it myself before I get the local dealer to fix it as he likes to charge massively high prices for parts and labour.

My issue is this. Speeds 1 and 2 of 4 on my blowers/fans in my 2001 Pontiac Sunfire are not working. This happened once before while the car was under warrenty so I got it fixed for free. Now I don't have that luxery. Speeds 3 and 4 work fine and I've been using speed 3 for my AC but it's been getting a little intense as the summer turns to autumn. I don't what highpowered air blowing when I don't need it.

Last time this happened, the tech said, and I'm not that technical, that a part in the engine has cracked and it needed to be replaced. It was a simple job. The fans are controled by 2 modules or something like that and the one that controls speeds 1 and 2 was broken/cracked. I'm just wondering if it IS a simple fix for a novice of car repair. I'd rather fix it myself but will take it in for repairs of I need to. I've been living with it for 2 months now and would really like it fixed.

Any info on the situation and/or repair tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time. Let me know if I can give more info. I guess it's a common problem so I'm hoping someone here will know what I'm talking about and be able to guide me in the right direction.

Thanks again!

--Ethan Smith

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-05, 01:48 PM
Go google, lots of information on that simple repair, $20 to $30.

Old 09-17-05, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by ethansmith
Hi, I have what I think is a smiple problem but I don't know for sure. I want to see if I can fix it myself before I get the local dealer to fix it as he likes to charge massively high prices for parts and labour.

My issue is this. Speeds 1 and 2 of 4 on my blowers/fans in my 2001 Pontiac Sunfire are not working. This happened once before while the car was under warrenty so I got it fixed for free. Now I don't have that luxery. Speeds 3 and 4 work fine and I've been using speed 3 for my AC but it's been getting a little intense as the summer turns to autumn. I don't what highpowered air blowing when I don't need it.

Last time this happened, the tech said, and I'm not that technical, that a part in the engine has cracked and it needed to be replaced. It was a simple job. The fans are controled by 2 modules or something like that and the one that controls speeds 1 and 2 was broken/cracked. I'm just wondering if it IS a simple fix for a novice of car repair. I'd rather fix it myself but will take it in for repairs of I need to. I've been living with it for 2 months now and would really like it fixed.

Any info on the situation and/or repair tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time. Let me know if I can give more info. I guess it's a common problem so I'm hoping someone here will know what I'm talking about and be able to guide me in the right direction.

Thanks again!

--Ethan Smith
sounds like a blower relay

Old 09-17-05, 09:01 PM
Most likely your blower motor resistor needs to be replaced, pretty common on alot of newer GM vehicles - its located next to the blower motor under the
dash near the glovebox - unclip one harness remove 2 7/32" screws and out it comes!

Hope that helped.

Old 09-19-05, 07:04 AM
Thanks to all for your help! I've Googled it and found lots of info.

Originally Posted by firstshack
Most likely your blower motor resistor needs to be replaced, pretty common on alot of newer GM vehicles - its located next to the blower motor under the
dash near the glovebox - unclip one harness remove 2 7/32" screws and out it comes!

Hope that helped.
That did help for the general location. But I'm just wondering where this harness is. I looked under my glove box and saw some wires but the only real screws I saw were just for removeal of the glove box, or so it looked. Is this harness under and behind the glove box or would you say it's to the side? Seems like a pretty simple fix. I just don't want to mess anything else up. Thanks again!

--Ethan

Old 09-19-05, 08:41 AM
Ther may be a trim panel under there that needs to be removed first - i can't remember at the moment - usually held there with a couple of 7mm screws/bolts, there will be one harness plugging into the blower and another to the resistor - it's kinda ackward to get in there, but its there

Old 09-19-05, 02:53 PM
Okay, sorry for being so non-technical about this. I did a more indepth inspection and saw that directly behind the glove box there is this black bowl like thing that is attached with 3 screws around the outside (would make a triangle if you connected them.) Then, directly behind there there is a little while plastic thing that looks similar to the image on Ac Delco's website for the HVAC / Blower Motor Resistor part number 15-8706 except it was white, not grey. But I could only see the screw and where the electricity goes into it. Is this the resistor? If so, it's in a tight space. But I think it's manageable. So far I've only seen one but am still looking.

Thanks again for your help. Really appreciated!!

--Ethan

Last edited by ethansmith; 09-19-05 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Closing )