1992 Olds 88

Old 09-18-05, 07:26 PM
michelyn19
Visiting Guest
1992 Olds 88

I have a 1992 Olds 88. I started the ignition and the Security light came on and did not go out. There are no other 'caution' lights on and everything else seems to be functioning properly. Any ideas of what may be causing this (and how can I fix it) and do I need to be concerned?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-05, 07:36 PM
A known problem on this car, is the ignition cylinder. There are 2 wires that come out of the cylinder and are routed down the column. What happens, is one of, or both of the wires become chafed. These wires are hooked to a sensor in the cylinder and that sensor is what identifies the code in the ignition key. With that wire bare and possibly rubbing on the inside of the column, the VTD module receives incorrect info from the cylinder. If this is indeed your problem, you will need a new ignition cylinder and a new key or 2.
If a wire was to brake completely, you would be stranded. So it would be a good idea to get it repaired.
Have a shop or the dealer check to see what security code was set, and let us know. If your car has air bags, I would recommend you have a certified tech do the repairs for you, just for safety concerns; an airbag being deployed in one's head could do some serious damage, even kill.