Gear Shift...

Old 09-19-05, 12:56 PM
hayneslino
Visiting Guest
Gear Shift...

Hi, i have a Nissan Altima, year 1993. My problem is with my gear shift stick. from time to time it sticks. when i depress the button in order to change from the park postion to the drive postion, it won't move. the button wont work. what can i do to fix this problem? That you for your assistance.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-05, 05:12 PM
brake light switch

Old 08-06-06, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by hayneslino
Hi, i have a Nissan Altima, year 1993. My problem is with my gear shift stick. from time to time it sticks. when i depress the button in order to change from the park postion to the drive postion, it won't move. the button wont work. what can i do to fix this problem? That you for your assistance.
Could be cable that goes from ignition switch in column to that button on shifter or it could be ignition tumblers which we are finding out is a PITA to change. Good Luck.

Old 08-07-06, 12:01 PM
I would suggest with the vehicle running step on the brake pedal and listen for a slight click sound ( I have a 2001 Xterra) this will tell us if the brake switch is working. Do this a few times until you recognize the sound then the next time you have a problem see if you hear this sound or not. There should also be shift solenoid bypass, next to the shifter look for a small opening (sometimes they cover it with an obvious cover). Insert a small item like a key or screwdriver (whatever fits) and depress this in the hole. This will allow you to bypass the solenoid that the brake switch is supposed to energize and move the shifter without stepping on the brake this is a safety bypass.

Your problem could also be a worn out shift plunger (button on the side of shifter).

Hope this helps,
Jeff

Old 08-07-06, 04:36 PM
cable from shifter to key needs replaced?

Last edited by wanderbee; 08-09-06 at 05:31 AM.
Old 08-09-06, 05:29 AM
Been doing a bit of research on this problem and on Altima 93-96, the ? cable that unlocks the transmission is .8 inch to short. Kind of like a factory defect. Maybe it was a recall, check into it.

Old 08-09-06, 08:42 AM
Hi Wanderbee
Bulletin # NTB96-088 does indicate as you said the cable being too short (2mm) causing an intermittant no crank in the park position. I will happily email you a copy of the bulletin if you would like.

Jeff