Rotor Question

Old 09-19-05, 01:14 PM
Guitarman500
Visiting Guest
Rotor Question

Hi, I have a 94 acura integra LS. I recently went to replace my very old brake rotors and during the process all of the rotors came out perfectly but the rear left rotor screws (2 Total) stripped badly. I proceeded to try craftman broken screw remover, a offbrand screw remover but the screws where gone. So I drilled them out. During the "drilling" process I destroyed the threads and now I cant put a proper screw on.

However, I was told that the screws are not needed and that the pressure of the wheels lugnuts are "more then enough to hold it in place"

I just wanted to get a 2nd opinion on this.

Picture link below.
http://www.frogvsfly.com/rotorwhoas.jpg

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-05, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by Guitarman500
However, I was told that the screws are not needed and that the pressure of the wheels lugnuts are "more then enough to hold it in place"
I agree with that. I had the same problem with one rotor screw on a '90 mazda 626 so I didn't use either of the 2 screws so it wouldn't cause a balance problem.....never had any issues with it. I don't know what the point is of those screws, other that to prevent the rotor from sliding around during servicing or manufacturing.

Old 09-20-05, 05:37 AM
Agreed. I'm guessing the screws are there to keep the rotors secure during assembly line manufacture.

A secondary use of these screws (or maybe primary use) is to put them in the threaded holes 90° from position and use them to help pop a stuck rotor off the mouting flange during service.

There's nothing to worry about stripping the holes. In retrospect, you should have used a liquid penetrant and an impact screwdriver to remove the screws.

Search this Thread