1992 Chevy 1500 truck quits then runs fine

Old 09-23-05, 04:46 PM
bmwmcars
Visiting Guest
1992 Chevy 1500 truck quits then runs fine

I have a 1992 Chevy 1500 4x4 truck with the 305 engine in it. After sitting for a few days, the truck will start right up, run for almost exactly 10 minutes (give or take a few), then die wether at idle or cruise. It will then restart and run perfectly for the remainder of the day after sitting for 15 minutes. If I try to start it up before waiting the 15 minutes, it will start then idle hunt (if I give it throttle it will spit and backfire) and then die.

ECM flashes only a code 12. No SES light.

At this point, I have done all of the things I would commonly think of.
1/ fuel pump and sender unit (these actually went bad)
2/ cleaned all grounds
3/ replaced the ignition control module
4/ replaced the voltage regulator
5/ new cap, rotor, wires, coil, plugs
6/ new fuel pump relay
7/ fuel filter brand new

My next thoughts would be to do o2 sensor or ecm or both. Though, replacing parts with no luck is getting a little old.

Any ideas on what to look at next or ideas on how to troubleshoot this would be appreciated.

regards.
chad

Last edited by bmwmcars; 09-23-05 at 05:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-05, 03:06 PM
bmwmcars
Visiting Guest
bump... anybody?

Old 09-27-05, 09:43 PM
Cherry
Visiting Guest
MAS mass air flow sensor

between the thottle body and the wir filter

take it out and clean it

if it is the honey comb one make sure it is clean

if it is the dual probe one make sure both have a little wire connecting the probes together

Old 10-02-05, 12:28 PM
bmwmcars
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Cherry
MAS mass air flow sensor

between the thottle body and the wir filter

take it out and clean it

if it is the honey comb one make sure it is clean

if it is the dual probe one make sure both have a little wire connecting the probes together
There is no mass air flow sensor, it is throttle body injection and uses manifold pressure/vacuum and intake air temp to calculate the amount of air the engine is taking in.

any other ideas floating around out there?

Old 10-02-05, 07:42 PM
Check to see if your catalytic converter is partially clogged. The engine will run fine until backpressure builds up to the point where the engine can't breathe. You can check it by installing a vacuum gauge to manifold vacuum. You might have to drive it while monitoring the vacuum reading. If you see the vacuum reading gradually drop as you drive, that's an indication of a clogged exhaust. Keep in mind that the vacuum reading will jump up and down as you decelerate/accelerate, respectively. What you're looking for of if the pressure drops off while your maintaining the same speed/engine load/etc.

If it's clogged, don't delay replacing it as the converter can overheat, go into a meltdown and set your truck on fire. I've seen cats light the road bright orange, melt asphalt, any rubber within 12 inches (like exhaust hangers), and burn the paint right off the undercarriage. Haven't seen one set the interior on fire, but I know it's very possible and firefighters will tell you that they have seen it happen.

Old 10-02-05, 07:46 PM
When it happens see if you have spark. Measure the resistance of the pick up coil in the distributor somewhere around 800ohms is normal. If it reads infinite replace it. I believe 500-1500 ohms is spec.

Search this Thread