mazda626 head gasket

Old 09-23-05, 06:53 PM
mazda626 head gasket

I am getting ready to tackle a blown head gasket. As we know there is more to it than R and R and back on the road. With this being a 1995 with 150K miles what are your suggestions of what else to look for and where do you suggest buying the gasket set and other parts. I did a timing belt and water pump about 2K miles ago. As you can tell I donít do this everyday but am able to handle most mechanical task.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-05, 08:18 PM
With your miles, the head is usually reconditioned at the same time. It's roughly an extra $300 done at the local automotive machine shop.

Reconditioning includes cleaning, new valve stem seals, regrinding seats, and shaving the deck face for flatness. I'm not sure if valve guide replacement is included.

Old 09-23-05, 08:24 PM
mazda gaskets?

Is one brand of gasket sets better than another? how about buying on the internet or local?

Old 09-23-05, 09:27 PM
Fel-Pro is a good brand name. There are lots of internet stores and local stores to choose from. Shop the internet to get a feel for the prices, then buy locally to save on shipping costs and to avoid the hassle of returns.