Electrical problem?

Old 09-24-05, 02:37 PM
J.H.
Visiting Guest
Electrical problem?

My wife's 4 door 1991 Ford Tempo made a poor attempt to start this morning, barely turning over as if we were in the middle of December and she forgot to plug it in. It failed to start and the battery discharged, so I put on the charger and left it for a little while.

Upon coming back to start it, the car won't turn over whatsoever. The relay clicks for as long as you hold the key, not just once, and the engine doesn't even try to turn over.

The second the battery charger is connected, it shows the battery as fully charged but as soon as you try to start the car the battery flatlines. Everything in the car works (door chime, interior light, etc) when the charger is hooked up as well, but then nothing works as soon as it's not.

I've pulled fuses looking for a parasitic drain with very little results. I've tried another battery with the same results as the first.

Can anyone give me some indication of what I'm dealing with? I have a good general knowledge of car repair but this has me completely whipped. I'll answer any questions as best I can if it will help me get an answer.

Old 09-24-05, 02:58 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If a known good battery doesn't solve the problem, then it's likely to be bad cables or a loose or dirty connection.

Old 09-25-05, 10:52 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Try giving the starter a gentle rap with a hammer handle. Could be the starter is bad.

Old 09-29-05, 01:18 AM
J.H.
Visiting Guest
Just cause I can, I'll post a resolution to my problem.

Alternator was overcharging the batteries.....a lot!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: