Lacks power

Old 09-27-05, 01:21 AM
Lacks power

1998 Honda CRV 4cyl. auto 213,000 km runs normal otherwise except for when going uphill i.e under load. All normal maintenance done usual items changed filters, wires ,oil etc. Any ideas out there?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-05, 06:09 AM
A little more information would be helpful. But with that many miles, sorry kilometers, on it and the age I would guess it has low compression due to worn rings. Does the transmission slip when under load or is it strictly a lack of power?

The compression is easy to check if you can get hold of a tester. The screw in type is the best.

Good Luck!

Old 09-27-05, 09:09 AM
No the Tranny is not slipping and not smoke coming out ,was very well maintained oil changes done regularly...so what other possibiliteis other that rings...egr maybe blocked cat..i was thinking?

Old 09-27-05, 09:33 PM
Cherry
Visiting Guest
what type of smell?

auto or standard?

any oil leaks on the engine

to check for a plugged cat either take it out of go up a hill and check to see if it is glowing red

Old 09-29-05, 07:07 PM
DEERMAN
Visiting Guest
Lack of Power

It is possible that the transmission is not down shifting and you are in a higher gear range than you need. It could also be due to blocked exhaust. But, if it was the exhaust, you would most likely smell an egg type of smell or hear a whistle sound from the tail pipe.

You might also want to make sure the timing advance is working correctly. To do this, you need a timing light and need to rev the engine while you watch the timing mark; it should move and advance. If you are not aware of this process, pa someone $20 to check it for you.

Good Luck!

DEERMAN