98 Olds Intrigue... Clunky Shifting

Old 10-02-05, 06:28 AM
Gator22man
Visiting Guest
98 Olds Intrigue... Clunky Shifting

After the car is warm and running for a while, the car shifts rough. (Automatic transmission) For example, my wife drive the car to and from work on the itnerstate for 35 miles each way. On the way to work the car runs fine. On the way home, she gets off the interate, and when she starts back up (stops at a stop sign) when the car shifts around 25 mph it shifts hard and clunks. It does this the rest of the way home, but when the car cools down, there is no problem. There are no leaks or drips under the car and the transmission fluid is full?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-05, 07:00 AM
Group Moderator
Last time the car had a fluid & filter change?

Old 10-03-05, 08:10 AM
possible code 1811?

If this car has a 4T65E transmission get the car scanned for a possible code 1811 (transmission component slipping) if this code is present it will boost the pressure in the transmission (giving you a harsh 1-2 shift) trying to protect itself. The cause is a valve in the valvebody is worn out. This will allow the fluid to seep past the valve instead of moving it against the spring tension therefore completing the shift process. If this code is present we always install a shift kit (not sure if I can use the manufactures name brand). This replaces the factory valve with a modified setup. If you repair this sooner rather than later you can normally just put the kit in, if you wait too long you will need to put the torque converter in also. They will change the fluid and filter at this time also so I would suggest checking it out before changing the fluid and filter since they will have to drain the new fluid to do the repairs.
Hope this helps.