'98 Rav4 - exhaust hole causing poor acc. and speed?

Old 10-02-05, 09:32 AM
'98 Rav4 - exhaust hole causing poor acc. and speed?

Howdy-

Female neighbor just came by with the 'help?!' look on her face. Says the car starting making really loud noises (like a busted muffler) and that she can't go more than 5 or 10mph. Luckill she was only 3 blocks from home when it started. She said the noise started yesterday and peaked when it failed to go >10mph.

I looked underneath and saw that her exhuast pipe is completely rusted about 1 ft out from the engine (well before catalytic concerter). Would just this hole be causing this sudden failure in engine performance or is it likely more than that?

-Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-05, 09:57 AM
No, there has to be something else. Get a little history of service, Timing belt etc

Old 10-04-05, 05:58 PM
Whhile I heard it second-hand, but I was told today that the root of the problem was in fact the hole/break in the exhaust pipe. The break occurred before the Oxygen sensor which, according to the mechanic, made the difference in the performance.

That's just what I heard is that not likely the whole story?

I'm just trying to learn now - it's not my car no my repair bill.

-Chris

Old 10-04-05, 06:23 PM
It's usually the flex portion of the pipe that breaks and the O2 sensor is before that. That sensor is to trim the air/fuel mixture. The sensor after is the one behind the cat which is responsible for monitoring the cat efficiency.