1999 Mistubishi Galant shows low oil pressure

Old 10-02-05, 10:59 AM
lith330
Visiting Guest
1999 Mistubishi Galant shows low oil pressure

I have thes 1999 Galant ES. Just recently the oil light pressure comes on when in idle at < 1000 RPM. I checked the oil level and looks fine. It seems to go away when I increase the RPM whether I'm driving or at parked position. Any ideas what may be wrong ?

Last edited by lith330; 10-02-05 at 05:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-05, 07:57 PM
It could be a faulty oil pressure sending unit, but if it's not you might have a major engine problem. Most oil pumps are nothing more than two gears running together. Some are two gears side by side, while others are one gear riding inside another inverse gear. The key to these is a flat steel plate that they ride against. If oil has been neglected, this plate can get scored by oil contaminants and oil pressure drops dramatically at idle. Your best bet is to install (even if temporarily) a mechanical gauge and get an actual reading in psi. The only real way to see if the oil pressure sending unit is faulty is to replace it. Taking a voltage reading won't tell you if it's a faulty sensor or low oil pressure unless you know the actual oil pressure. If your oil pressure drops to something like 5 psi, it's an actual oil flow problem, not a sensor.

Search this Thread