Bleeding the coolant system?

Old 10-04-05, 12:51 PM
smcvey
Visiting Guest
Bleeding the coolant system?

Can anyone tell me how to bleed the coolant system in a 89 Honda? I replaced the thermostat and it says that I need to do this now and I have no idea!!! Also, if I don't bleed it what will happen?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-05, 07:55 AM
What they are reffering to is making sure to get all the air out of the sytem. Make sure the radiator is full and run it for a while and then when it is cooled down recheck level in radiator. The down side to not purging the air out of the system is you could get an air pocket and this could do engine damage such as warping the head. Hope this helps.

Old 10-05-05, 02:59 PM
Group Moderator
One way to "burp" the system is to park it on a fairly steep uphill incline. Remove cap (when cool). Run engine until thermostat opens and you see the level drop in the radiator. Before the thermostat opens you will get some overflow from the radiator. Ignore that and when the thermostat opens (can see flow inside and the upper hose gets real hot), top off the fluid level and put the cap on. Parking on the uphill encourages any air in the system to seek the highest point, i.e. the open filler neck of the radiator. Some cars have a built in bleeder valve at a high point on the engine; normally they are clearly marked, but I don't think your vehicle has one.

Old 10-10-05, 07:54 PM
ETA: PROPER way to do this is using the bleeder port located on or near the thermostat housing.

It should use a 12 or 13mm socket.

Make sure the system is cold so you don't get burned.

Open it slowly so it doesn't fall out, then remove the radiator cap and start adding coolant until it runs out of the bleeder port and there are no air bubbles.

Close the bleeder port, install the cap and you should be ready to go.

HTH

Matt

Last edited by smogtek; 10-11-05 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-11-05, 06:00 PM
badblazer73
Visiting Guest
Easiest way to do this is using the bleeder port located on or near the thermostat housing.
If you don't do this part, air pockets will become trapped in the cylinder head and cause steam pockets that can crack the heads. On honda's, the "incline" concept doesn't always work.

Search this Thread