Buick Regal issue with automatic shifter button

Old 10-04-05, 04:47 PM
Buick Regal issue with automatic shifter button

Hello.

I hope someone can help me with this problem.

Car: 1998 Buick Regal
Engine is a 3500 V6 with power everything

For whatever reason we have a heck of a time shifting our car out of park. The button on top of the shifter is nearly impossible to push down. You have to hit it a few times with your hand to get it down. I haven't pulled it apart yet becuase i was hoping someone might have some insight first before i make a mess of it.

I pulled the fuse wondering if it was an electrical issue--becuase when you hit it a few times you can hear a clicking sound in the dash and the locks. It wasn't that. Also there is a button that would allow you to shift it out of park if the battery died and the button is still just as impossible to push down.

Thank you.
Charlie

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-05, 06:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The problem is in the park / lock cable. There are two cables in the console. One is for shifting and the other is the park / lock cable.

I am looking at the factory manual but can't figure out how to scan and paste the info to this thread. Basically, when you get into the console and locate the park / lock cable, it will have a lock button near the end of the cable. With the ignition in Lock and the shifter in Park, push the cable connector lock button to the up position. Push cable connector nose forward to remove slack. With no load applied to connector nose, snap cable lock button down.

Check out. With the shift lever in Park and the key in Lock position, make sure that you cannot move the shifter lever to another position. Ignition key should be removable from ignition. With key in Run and the shift lever in neutral, make sure that you cannot turn the key to Lock. If the above conditions are met, the system is properly adjusted.
Hope this helps.

Old 10-04-05, 08:58 PM
I'm pretty positive that the only cable in the console is for the selection of gears. The shift interlock system on this car, as well as the Pontiac Grand Prix's, have a solenoid/actuator mounted on the gear selector assembly. There is also a solenoid in the steering column mounted to the ignition cylinder housing, then there is a signal circuit from the brake pedal. It is all electronic, came out in '97 on the W body cars. Just a heads up, I have replaced a ton of these gear selector assemblys for not being able to remove the ignition key. But your problem sounds like a weak solenoid/actuator on the gear selector. I am not sure if this is a serviceable part, I can check tomorrow when I get to work. Stay tuned.

Old 10-04-05, 09:01 PM
thank you. That would be great. Let me know.. and also how in the world i can fix it or find that solenoid/actuator. Thanks. Charlie

Old 10-05-05, 07:59 AM
Here is a diagnostic chart from GM's service info site. If you cannot feel the solenoid disengaging when you step on the brake pedal with your hand on the shifter, you more than likely have a bad brake switch. This is about the best I can do for you since the car is not infront of me. Let us know if you need more assistance.

Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Control Inoperative
Step
Action
Value(s)
Yes
No

Place transaxle in the PARK position.
Turn ignition switch to the RUN position.
Disconnect the automatic transaxle control (BTSI) connector.
On Regal: Using a test lamp, connect between the BTSI connector terminal E circuit 1135 and ground.
On Century: Using a test lamp, connect between the BTSI connector terminal A circuit 1135 and ground.
Press the brake pedal and observe the test lamp.
Does the test lamp turn off when you press the brake pedal?
--
Go to Step 3
Go to Step 2

Disconnect the stop lamp switch connector C2. Leave the test lamp at the same location.

Does the test lamp illuminate?
--
Go to Step 7
Go to Step 8

If Century skip to step 4.
Using a test lamp, connect between the automatic transaxle control (BTSI) connector terminal B circuit 1439 and ground.
--
Go to Step 4
Go to Step 9

On Regal: Using a test lamp, connect between the automatic transaxle control (BTSI) connector terminal A circuit 434 and B+.
On Century: Using a test lamp, connect between the automatic transaxle control (BTSI) connector terminal B circuit 434 and B+.
--
Go to Step 10
Go to Step 5

Disconnect the transaxle range switch connector C1.
Using a test lamp, connect between the transaxle range switch connector C1 terminal D circuit 1050 and B+.
--
Go to Step 6
Go to Step 12

Check for poor connection or open in circuit 434.

Is there a poor connection or open in circuit 434?
--
Go to Step 11
Go to Step 13

Repair the short to B+ in circuit 1135.

Is the repair complete?
--
Go to Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Control System Check
--

Replace the stop lamp switch. Refer to Stop Lamp Switch Replacement for service procedure.
--
--

Repair the poor connection or open in circuit 1439.

Is the repair complete?
--
--

Replace the BTSI. Refer to Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Control - Disassemble - Off Vehicle and Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Control - Assemble - Off Vehicle for service procedure.

Is the repair complete?
--
--

Repair the poor connection or open in circuit 434.

Is the repair complete?
--
--

Repair the poor connection or open in circuit 1050.

Is the repair complete?
--
--

Replace transaxle range switch. Refer to PNP Switch Replacement or PNP Switch Replacement for service procedure.

Is the repair complete?
--
--

Old 10-05-05, 11:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My bad. I looked up 1988 instead of 1998.

Old 10-05-05, 12:21 PM
gordwould
Visiting Guest
location of btsi

the btsi center is located in the center of the console and the automatic transmision shift lock control(bsti) is located on the underside of stearing columb also i have experienced in some cases a faulty stop lamp switch causing such problems.

Old 10-06-05, 04:05 PM
great.

I will work on this saturday and get back to you on this.. i appreciate the help. I hope this fixes it. It's driving me crazy. It's getting harder and harder to shift.

thanks!!
charlie