No heat in car

Old 10-04-05, 08:53 PM
bccole77
Visiting Guest
No heat in car

I own a 1997 Lincoln Mark viii. I bought it last winter, and the heat was not hot, but after I drove it for a couple weeks it got hot, and everything seemed fine. So this year i deccieded to start the process early this year so I would have heat for the whole winter. Well it is not working. I would love for it to just be the thermostat. It is not stuck and the ac is great, but I have heard of people using two different thermostats for winter and summer. Is this my problem or at least worth a try (thermostats are relativley cheap), or do I have bigger problems ahead?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-05, 09:22 PM
Feel your heater hoses. If both are hot, your cooling system is fine. If one is cold or at least noticeably different in temperature, you probably have a clogged heater core. You could try disconnecting both heater hoses and backflushing it with a garden hose. The colder hose is the one you'd want to connect the garden hose to. Hopefully, you'll blow whatever is clogging the core back out through the supply line. This doesn't always work, though, so you might end up replacing the heater core anyway.

Another possibility is the control for the temperature. Some cars use a regular cable to control the damper that switches between hot and cold. Others use a vacuum servo. In either case, you'll need to get into the dashboard, or under it, to see if that damper is opening and closing when you adjust the control.

Old 10-05-05, 03:22 AM
Where does the needle on the temp gauge read. The thermostats stick open causing poor heat with needle down by the "C", very common for thermostats in that car to go bad. Should read 1/4-3/8 of the way up.

A/C and thermo stuck open have no relation. Would only affect A/C if stuck closed and overheating.

Last edited by toyotaman11769; 10-05-05 at 06:06 AM.
Old 10-05-05, 04:27 AM
Originally Posted by matts156
Feel your heater hoses. If both are hot, your cooling system is fine. If one is cold or at least noticeably different in temperature, you probably have a clogged heater core. You could try disconnecting both heater hoses and backflushing it with a garden hose. The colder hose is the one you'd want to connect the garden hose to. Hopefully, you'll blow whatever is clogging the core back out through the supply line. This doesn't always work, though, so you might end up replacing the heater core anyway.

Another possibility is the control for the temperature. Some cars use a regular cable to control the damper that switches between hot and cold. Others use a vacuum servo. In either case, you'll need to get into the dashboard, or under it, to see if that damper is opening and closing when you adjust the control.
.............................................................................................................