Can self-adjusters overtighten brakes?

Old 10-07-05, 10:12 AM
Question Can self-adjusters overtighten brakes?

I replaced the rear brake shoes on my 94 Suburban & after a few days of driving I could smell them - the drums were cooking and the shoes were so tight I could barely remove the drums to check things out.

All parts seem to be installed correctly but I had not replaced the springs, (should have, I know...) so I grabbed a spring kit and swapped them out in case they were the problem.

I re-adjusted them for proper clearance but after a few days it's happening again. I've done brake work over many years on all my vehicles but never had this happen before - any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-05, 04:31 PM
I have read a similar thread a few days back. Check this page or the page before. Moderator recommended something like brake cable adjustment, opening bleeder screw and checking if oil squirts out or slowly leaks out, etc.

Old 10-07-05, 09:06 PM
1st of all make sure your primary and secondary shoes are in the correct location. The primary shoe (closest to the front) has the smaller lining. Being that it is a duo servo design the anchor pin on the backing plate is at the top so make sure the shoes are sitting on the anchor pin. If they are not..there is your problem. Let us know if they are sitting on the anchor pin.

Old 10-08-05, 05:03 PM
Yep - shoes are on correctly and seated on the anchor pin - so that's not the culprit.

Now I'll go search the older threads for the other info.....
Thanks so far guys...

---> Found the other thread - it was for a 94 Taurus with disks in back - bad caliper issue - nor what I'm experiencing.

So...still stumped here and looking for some magic advice...

Old 10-08-05, 05:40 PM
You may be adjusting them too tight. They will have a slight drag when cold but as soon as they heat up they expand and are too tight.

The correct way is to adjust them tight and back off till free.

Old 10-09-05, 05:09 AM
Originally Posted by Betaguy001
Yep - shoes are on correctly and seated on the anchor pin - so that's not the culprit.

Now I'll go search the older threads for the other info.....
Thanks so far guys...

---> Found the other thread - it was for a 94 Taurus with disks in back - bad caliper issue - nor what I'm experiencing.

So...still stumped here and looking for some magic advice...
Bad caliper is the same as a bad wheel cyl. you can check it the same way. Jack up the truck and pump the brakes. While you apply the brake get someone to try and turn the wheel, it shouldn't turn, now let off the brake and see if the brake releases. If all is installed corectly and adjusted correctly then it should release. If it doesn't then you need to start working back toward the master cyl. starting with the rear brake hose.

Does both wheels get tight (hot) or just one side?

To adjust tighten adjuster until you can hear and or feel a SLIGHT drag.
Not too tight, If you end up adjusting the brakes looser then you can get them back to the correct tight setting by driving the truck backwards and hitting the brakes a couple of times. This will get them to the propper adjustment if the adjuster are working correctly.

Old 10-10-05, 10:32 PM
Actually, I've done both - checked the brake cyl to make sure the shoes release OK, and also adjusted them out til they just start to drag, then back off a bit - a few days later they were real tight. So I tried backing them off a lot, figuring the adjusters would snug them up over a few days. A week later they were tight as hell again - the truck will not roll freely, the brakes are hot after a short trip, and I can't turn the wheels by hand when the rear is jacked up.

I've had the drums off 4 times now, loosened up the shoe adjusters, and then had them (over)tighten back up in just a few days. Winter's coming, and I'm not doing this when it's -25C.....

HELP!! I've been a backyard mechanic for years and worked on everything except tranny teardowns, but never encountered anything like this.

Old 10-11-05, 03:57 AM
Is the adjuster in backwards? I think if it is reversed it will tighten going forward.Does it happen on both sides?

Old 10-11-05, 08:55 PM
No - it's in correctly - when the adjust bar comes down it turns the adjustment wheel so the unit spreads - if they are reversed the bar won''t touch the adjustment wheel when it moves down. There's only one way for it to be assembled and actually work. And yes. it's happening on both sides.

?? Is there a possibility the parking brake cable can be contributing to this - I checked it tonight and it is a bit tighter thatn it needs to be - couldn't back it off - it's frozen on - so I shot some liguid wrench on it to loosen it up. It's never needed to be adjusted before....

Old 10-13-05, 08:07 AM
If the parking brake cable is not working on both sides it needs to be replaced. This could be problem.