1996 dodge caravan.driver side rear sliding stuck shut.

Old 10-09-05, 03:54 PM
jaca89
Visiting Guest
1996 dodge caravan.driver side rear sliding stuck shut.

1996 Grand Caravan.Driver side sliding door stuck shut (Post #1)
There's a sticker on the sliding door window that says,"Door will not open when gas cap cover is open".Is there a device or something that tells the door not to open?(switch that gas cap cover tells the door not to open or something?)When I press the remote button or push the lock button down.All the locks go up and down.All other doors open and close.Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-05, 07:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
There is a mechanical latch at the rear of the door which is engaged by opening the fuel door. This is to prevent the door from being opened while fueling and possibly knocking the gas nozzle out of the filler hole.
If your door is not opening with the gas door shut, either the linkage needs adjusting or is damaged or broken.

Old 10-10-05, 08:08 PM
jaca89
Visiting Guest
Whats the best way to test this linkage to see if its the problem.Thanks

Old 10-10-05, 10:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
All I can tell you is what I see on the wife's Voyager. There is a short rod attached to the back of the sliding door. It fits into a latching mechanism bolted to the fixed pillar. When the gas door is opened, the latch captures the rod to prevent the door from opening. You might try opening and closing the gas door a few times to see if there is any binding.
If the sliding door starts to open when you pull the door handle, but will barely open a crack, the latch is holding the rod. If the door fails to budge at all, the problem may be in the door linkage rather than the gas door safety device. This is kind of vague, but hope it helps your troubleshooting.