Rear brakes on Mazda pickup

Old 10-10-05, 07:55 PM
Rear brakes on Mazda pickup

A friend of mine and I just put new rear brake shoes on his '89 (I think) Mazda B2200 pickup. Everything went back together the same as it came off. Now he reports he has no parking brake. Before the new shoes, the parking brake handle had to be pulled WAY out to actuate. We figured that with the new shoes, it wouldn't have to be pulled out so far, and should have worked better, too. This is not the case. Any ideas? Thanks in advance - Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-05, 06:08 AM
adjust

Adjust the brakes as required.

Old 10-11-05, 07:54 AM
Thanks, michael van, for the reply. We adjusted the shoes to where the drums would slip on over them with just a little clearance, and thought the self-adjusters would take care of the rest. On this truck, do the adjusters adjust when braking while backing up, or when you apply the parking brake, or when? Thanks again - Chris

Old 10-11-05, 05:36 PM
I'm not positive about your vehicle, but most brakes adjust when backing up, with the exception of those cars that don't have servo brakes (there are a few).

It sounds like you adjusted the shoes okay. Parking brakes have a separate adjustment.

You should get a manual for the vehicle. It'll tell you in detail where the adjusting mechanism is located, how to adjust the parking brake, and have illustrations.

Old 10-11-05, 07:34 PM
dont count on it

I would not count om the self adjusters sometines they dont work.There is a slot in the backing plate were you adjust them by hand.
Also the parking brake cable has a adjustment on it.