chrysler 2.7

Old 10-12-05, 04:55 PM
sjdude
Visiting Guest
chrysler 2.7

2000 Chrysler concorde 2.7. When the heat is on the fan blows cold air. I have recently read that this could be caused by sludge built up in the engine and this is a common problem that leads to total engine failure. I was wondering if anyone has heard of this and if there are any products that I can use in the engine to break down the sludge. Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-05, 04:20 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, your car is sludge-prone according to Consumers Report. Sludge causing a problem with heat is a new one on me. More likely you have a mechanical/vacuum problem with the ac/heat system.

Here's the sludge info:

http://www.consumerreports.org/main/content/display_report.jsp?WebLogicSession=Q05DIL4JEALc0kjIjS1ynIA0eM2Wg1XnQ0YfIXhCTtcyFlXIi6AI|8068121851914044378/169937910/6/7005/7005/7002/7002/7005/-1|-564904816055595269/169937902/6/7005/7005/7002/7002/7005/-1&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=665845&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=333137&bmUID=1129202464554

Old 10-13-05, 07:03 AM
sjdude
Visiting Guest
chrysler 2.7

Thanks for the help. I thought it strange that sludge could cause the problem. I read about it on this site. http://www.datatown.com/chrysler/

Old 10-14-05, 05:37 AM
Group Moderator
Interesting article.

I would have liked to have seen some scientific explanation of the cabin heat/sludge relationship, but there was none. I still fail to see the connection; however, the sludge info is probably mostly accurate.

There are plenty of other manufacturers out there who have put crap on the road and called them cars, so I wouldn't automatically condemn ALL Chrysler produts (although I personally would not own one). Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable springs immediately to mind.

Old 10-14-05, 06:48 AM
badblazer73
Visiting Guest
I may be able to shed some light on the sludge issue. Altough I haven't had it happen with that particular engine, I have had similar problems with high milage GM throttle body injected engines. What happens as the engines get older, you get more cylinder blowby. With the contained P.C.V. systems, the excess blowby goes back through the air filter breather element. This is normally a way for air to get INTO the crankcase. If your engine has a crank case breather element, ck it. It should NOT have any oil on it. just plain dirt. Like the air filter should have. The excess fumes and oil go into the intake system. If it's oily, change the P.C.V. valve.

On my GM throttle bodies, the vacuum ports always get plugged or restricted. This can cause all kinds of problems. Since the blend doors and several other funtions reqiure vacuum to operate, they will become sluggish, or just not work at all. Sometimes you can clean these ports out and all will be good agian, but it will plug up agian over time.!!

If this is whats going in in your engine, Then there is no way to repair it without an engine overhaul.

Old 04-07-06, 10:45 AM
Chrysler 2.7 trouble

Interested what the outcome was for you. My wife's 2001 Concrorde (2.7) had the same heater issue. Off and on the heater would blow cold air. A week or two later, the car died on the freeway. No warning lights, knocking or any signs of trouble. It would turn over, but would not fire.

Had the car towed to a mechanic's shop. They replaced spark plugs and cam sensor and two gallons of coolant! When they started the car, he said that coolant/oil mixture came out of the engine somewhere, so they shut it off. They charged me for the parts and labor and said I needed a new engine installed.

I towed the car home, drained the crankcase, replaced the oil and filter. The car would not start, unless I disconnected the cam sensor, but it started and ran great, no knocks. I am so confused. Can the head gasket get so bad that coolant oil mixture could squirt out of the motor? Is it possible that I just need a head gasket replaced?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Search this Thread