Did I destroy this vehicle? No t-fluid

Old 10-15-05, 08:50 AM
Did I destroy this vehicle? No t-fluid

Well, I really screwed up this time. Brought a 91 Ford Explorer in for a tuneup and thought I mentioned having the transmission fluid replaced (it was low). But looking back I may not have made this perfectly clear- we talked about various issues and it may have gotten lost in the shuffle.

So, a couple months go by and I'm driving home and the car (automatic) starts slipping out of gear. By backing off the gas then tapping the pedal, I manage to get the few blocks home. When I check the trans fluid, the dipstick is dry.

A friend advised adding fluid slowly and warming the car up then rechecking the level. The shift lever still works but the car will only move in reverse. In the D position, it does not engage.

Have I wrecked this transmission? I plan to check the fluid again today and see how things go, but is there anything else I should do now? Perform last rites?

Thank you very much for any suggestions. Sometimes my idiocy knows no bounds.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-05, 10:42 AM
On my astro the same thing happen and it was just the 1st gear that was shot. it cost me about 1000 for repair

Old 10-15-05, 12:34 PM
Hey ChevyAstro,

Thanks for the reply. I think $1000 is about what this vehicle is worth right now, so I don't think I'd pay to have it fixed. It still doesn't move forward in 1, 2 D or OD. On the positive side, reverse works fantastic! Maybe I'll just start driving around backwards.

Stupidity has its price. I appreciate the feedback.

Old 10-15-05, 01:08 PM
ya i had to do that with my van to get it back home, i would take it in and see it could be just a simple thing.

Old 10-15-05, 09:24 PM
I think I'll bring it in next week. Still trying to come up with a plausible story besides "I forgot to check the fluid level."

Much appreciated.

Old 10-15-05, 11:35 PM
Wish You Luck And Hope Its Something Simple

Old 10-16-05, 09:49 AM
Angry

I would say you burned a clutch pack, dropping the transmission pan will tell the tale.

Old 10-16-05, 10:58 AM
I think you are losing fluid somewhere. You replaced the fluid since it was low, and when it slipped it was also low. See if there is a vacuum control modulator on the transmission. Sometimes they will go bad and the engine will suck the tranny fluid out.

Old 10-16-05, 11:12 AM
Thanks all for the additional replies.

chevyastro4x4: I appreciate the kind thoughts.

slls: A burned clutch pack doesn't sound too good. I'm guessing this isn't a $14.95 repair job. I'm having it looked at next week.

Daniel Wachtel: It may be leaking, but bear in mind when I brought it in for a tuneup the low fluid was not replaced- nor even topped off for that matter. Then I drove it for two months before it conked out. I haven't seen any fluid leaks on the driveway, but I think we've determined that my powers of observation leave something to be desired

Old 10-16-05, 11:17 AM
my 2 cents

I had a turbo 400 do that no fwd but a reverse It would move fwd but only with engine at high rpms It was the pump went south.It gave NO warning of imnanant failure it just happend.