fuel injector cleaning

Old 10-15-05, 07:42 PM
chefrn90
Visiting Guest
fuel injector cleaning

I was told that with mildly sticky fuel injectors that adding half a quart of transmission fluid to the gas tank will help clean the injectors. The rationale for this is that transmission fluid has a lot of detergent properties and is flammable. Can anyone else support this? Any comments on how well this works?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-05, 08:59 PM
Not a good idea.

If you really want to clean the injectors, the best way to go is with a Motor-Vac or similar system for the most efficient cleaning.

Here's a link that tells you about it.

http://www.theautochannel.com/mania/.../motorvac.html

HTH

Matt

Old 10-16-05, 08:15 AM
chefrn90
Visiting Guest
Thanks Matt. I think that I will do just that. What is the easiest way to find out if a garage uses the motorvac system?
thanks
Adam

Old 10-16-05, 06:16 PM
Just call and ask them what fuel injection cleaning system they use. Most reputable garages that specialize in electronic and emissions diagnostics should have it.

Don't let them sell you the "snake oil" version though. That's the one where they hook up an "IV-style" bottle to the intake plenum and put the cleaner in that way. You usually see this type at Jiffy Lube, Pep Boys and some of the less reputable places.

Does not do the same job as the Motor-Vac does.

Matt

Old 10-16-05, 08:29 PM
chefrn90
Visiting Guest
Thanks again Matt!!
Motorvac is a trademark then I assume what are some other equally efficient reliable names that do similar work. The article that you quoted was first written in 1996. What is a reasonable charge I can expect to pay for this service?
Thanks
Adam

Old 10-17-05, 04:54 AM
In your area, I'd say no more than $85-100.

Old 10-17-05, 08:25 AM
For that price, why not send the injectors out for cleaning? If you search the net, you'll find a number of places where you can mail your injectors where they'll ultrasonically clean, reverse-flush, flow test, and balance the injectors for roughly $25 per injector. This is superior to any on-board cleaning service and there's no question to whether the injectors are performing properly.

Old 10-17-05, 06:28 PM
chefrn90
Visiting Guest
I found a shop that will do the motor vac system for $49.95. I will give it a try then I will definately send them out. I like the Idea that the sensors will be cleaned also.
I feel confident that I can do the job an send them out but, I really don't want to sacrifice the time right now. I did like that idea originally but I dont want the car out of commision for 4 days. Whatever will be will be ......................................
Thanks for all your input!!