Car feels like the parking brake is stuck

Old 10-16-05, 11:50 AM
Car feels like the parking brake is stuck

Hi All,

My car is 1999 Chrysler Town & Country. I recently fixed a minor problem--cleaned off the starter terminal--and just when I thought everything was fine the car won't go. It starts up fine. It shifts and I can feel it going into gear, but when I give it gas it feels like the parking brake is stuck. It is not though. If I push it the car will move a little, but I don't want to damage anything. I hear a squeak in the back, which is where most of the resistance seems to be coming from. This problem just came without warning. Any ideas? Thanks.

Israel

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-05, 12:21 PM
jack er up

Jack it up and see if the wheels spin like they should.Make sure E brake is off.
Not much back there on a front wheel drive van.

Old 10-16-05, 06:04 PM
Makes sense. I'll do as you suggest. Is it possible the e-brake is engaged, even though I disengaged it, and the brake light on the dash is off?

Israel

Old 10-16-05, 06:07 PM
I'll do as you suggest. What else would do that besides the e-brake? I've made sure several times that I'd disengaged it. Could it still be stuck even though I disengaged it and the light on the dash for it is off?

Israel

Old 10-16-05, 06:08 PM
yes

Yes the brakes could be on with the handle down I am pretty sure the switch for the light is by the handle or foot device for the brake.

Old 10-16-05, 06:11 PM
corrosion

The brake shoes could be corroded the piston on the calipar could be stuck and not going back in you never know till you take a look.I assume they are drum brakes?

Old 10-18-05, 09:18 AM
It does seem to have been corrosion. I shifted it back and forth, and jammed the brakes a few times it loosen up and got free. I took the car to the dealer when I first got it, and one of the things they suggested was getting the brake lines flushed. It's one of the things I postponed in favor of more vital servicing. Guess it's time to get this done. Thanks again.

Israel