Bleeding Brakes

Old 10-12-05, 09:27 PM
finplan05
Visiting Guest
Bleeding Brakes

Need some help...I have a 2003 Isuzu Axiom and would like to replace the front brakes myself. I am not sure how to bleed the brakes. Can anyone help??

Old 10-13-05, 04:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
If all you are doing is replacing worn brake pads it will not be necessary to bleed the system. Bleeding is done when the system is opend for some reason such as replacing a caliper, brake cylinder, or brake line. You will need to push the pistons back in the calipers to provide the space needed for the new pads. This is accomplished either with a large C-clamp or there are special tools that will do the job. Ask the guy at the local parts store and he'll show you the tool that should be on his shelf. You may even be able to get one as a loaner from some parts places, but a c-clamp works just fine.

Old 10-14-05, 04:19 AM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Take a look at a repair manual for almost any car after 1990 and they will have pictures showing how to do it. It varies a little for each vehicle but that will give you an idea what the job requires. No need to bleed the brakes to replace the pads.

Old 10-18-05, 09:51 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Agree with the last two posts... no need to bleed if the system isn't opened.

You'll want to be careful when compressing the caliper before installing the new pads. Many calipers can be compressed using a C-clamp, but later model vehicles are more frequently using calipers that use a special wrench that turns the piston to collapse it. Using a C-clamp on this style of caliper can cause damage. I've seen people try to use needle nose pliers to turn the piston, but it takes a moderate amount of effort to turn the piston, so it usually only breaks the pliers.

A good clue that your piston has to be turned is that the surface of the piston may be solid (vice cup-shaped), with two or four notches opposite each other. If yours looks like that, chances are you need the wrench and shouldn't use the C-clip. Any decent service manual (Haynes) will tell you how to do the job properly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: