bad thermostat

Old 10-16-05, 06:51 PM
josh steensland
Visiting Guest
bad thermostat

does anyone out there know what can happen if my thermostat is going bad and i dont change it right away, my car is not overheating it just gets really hot after i stop. the temp. gague is hopping arround and the electric fan is not kicking in when i idle although it is working when the a/c is on so the fan is fine, my temp gague never gets over the 1/2 way point but the heat after i stop is pretty extreme, feel like i need to get it replaced asap am i right?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-05, 07:07 PM
yes

Replace ASAP you will warp your heads.But it sounds like your radiatior might be plugged also

Old 10-16-05, 07:11 PM
josh steensland
Visiting Guest
thanks for the info

in regards to the plugged radiator, would that have been seen when i got a radiator flush last week?

Old 10-16-05, 07:50 PM
should be ok

If you had it flushed it should be OK however you need to replace the thremostat before it overheats and you have a real nightmare.what kind of car are we dealing with?Who flushed the radiatior?This info might help out.Why was the thermosat not replaced at the time of flush?

Old 10-16-05, 08:14 PM
josh steensland
Visiting Guest
hi there my car is a 95 kia sportage and it was flushed at a shop here in tempe,az. does the thermostat get replaced when the radiatior gets a flush? was wondering if it could be a sensor or something something to tell the fan to kick on/off? it runs nice and cool when i am driving it just builds up heat after i stop, i am going to go back to the shop first thing tommrow morning and have them check it out and check out my heads and see if they are warped at all. seems to me that it might just be a sensor or thermostat, what do you think? thanks for your prompt replies!!!!!

Old 10-17-05, 12:25 PM
pressure check

Have them pressure check the system but if you are not losing water is should be ok also a cheap thing to replace is the cap.

Old 10-17-05, 07:01 PM
Your fan is controlled by two circuits. One is controlled by the A/C circuit to turn on the fan when you turn it on. The second is controlled by a temperature sensor in the engine.

It sounds like this temperature sensor has failed. If your thermostat was bad or your radiator plugged, your engine would overheat regardless of your speed. Most engines stay cool enough while moving to not need the fan. When you stop and idle, however, the fan should come on quite often.

Old 10-18-05, 04:54 PM
If it keeps the engine from overheating, have the A/C runnning when you're stopped to make the fans work until you get this problem fixed.