Jeep stuck in park, please help!!

Old 10-17-05, 03:25 PM
droog
Visiting Guest
Jeep stuck in park, please help!!

I have a 1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo with an automatic transmission. It has 96,000 miles on it, but has never given me a bit of trouble. When I parked it this morning, everything was fine. When I tried to drive it this afternoon, I couldn't get the transmission out of park. The button on the gear shift that allows you to unlock the transmission and shift into drive seems to be jammed. I removed the panel around the gear shift, but I'm not really sure what I'm doing and don't want to start messing around with anything for fear of ruining the transmission.

If someone could tell me how I could get the car in gear at least once so I could drive it to a mechanic, I'd be extremely grateful.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-05, 03:46 PM
maybe??

I'm not sure what or if anything is wrong, but whenever I had a car that did that to me I had to make sure the steering wheel was straight (a.k.a. the front tires had to be straight). May require some muscle but that's how I always fixed it.

Old 10-17-05, 05:13 PM
droog
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by arnaldoblue
I'm not sure what or if anything is wrong, but whenever I had a car that did that to me I had to make sure the steering wheel was straight (a.k.a. the front tires had to be straight). May require some muscle but that's how I always fixed it.

Holy cow, that worked! I had backed into a tight spot and the wheels were cut all the way to the right. When I straightened them out, the gearshift worked fine. That's weird, it never happened before.

Thanks for the help.

Old 10-18-05, 03:54 PM
cardinal50
Visiting Guest
garageminister

if you still have your cover and boot off look at the bottom of your shifter arm and you should see a plate that has diffirent size steps on that run front to back . where that meets the shift arm you should see a small piece of steel that runs side to side take a screwdriver and pry up on that while you pull the shifter back and it should come out of park good luck [email protected]