Acetone Fuel Mix

Old 10-18-05, 09:26 AM
PAX2000
Visiting Guest
Acetone Fuel Mix

Does anyone have info on using Acetone as a fuel mix boost for improved mpg?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-05, 10:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you spill it on your car, it will eat the paint off. It evaporates rapidly and is hazardous if you breathe it or get it on your skin.
A good tune up and properly inflated tires make more sense.

Old 10-18-05, 02:09 PM
I'm pretty sure I paid more than $3 a gallon for acetone last time I bought it
I second the proper tune and tire inflation

Old 01-30-08, 07:45 AM
works well

Of course with a proper tuneup and Oil changes the acetone makes the fuel burn better. There is a long chemistry explaination, but you will have to google it. In my dealings with trying it, I love it. My car is completely different with the acetone, Immediate pickup, smoother running at idle, I use the analogy of a person getting up without their morning java, they have a tough time getting going, thats what it feels like in my car without it, the cars response is slower and if you know what your car normally feels like, try an ounce and see if any difference. The common mix I heard is 1 ounce per 10 gallons, but I usually use 3 in my 97 olds and it is not expensive at most lowes or paint stores about 3 to 5 bucks. good luck, worse thing that will happen is your car will either run better or nothing at all.

Old 01-30-08, 08:29 AM
Group Moderator
On a newer car you could, of course, void the warranty.

Old 01-30-08, 08:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not to mention that it could turn some fuel system parts into mush. It is a highly volatile solvent.

Old 01-30-08, 09:01 AM
Group Moderator
Can't remember; when the Mythbusters did their segment on pouring foreign sustances into gas tanks was acetone tried?

Old 01-30-08, 09:11 AM
I don't believe that acetone is that dangerous to your skin LOL. It's used to remove certain types of glue from things including skin, it's also used in ladies' nail polish remover.

For your car, you may be better off using gas line antifreeze, which I believe is simply methanol sold under a different name! Methanol is used to improve the octane rating of fuels by refineries. I used to have a Ford minivan that worked far better with it than without it in terms of acceleration and gas mileage improvement.

I've tried putting a couple of tankfuls of high test fuel in several vehicles to check the gas mileage compared to regular (on cars that normally take regular) and found that some do better than others with high test. Some make no difference at all, so you're wasting your money essentially by putting in high test fuel. The only benefit is that the high test stuff will clean out some engine parts. The same would apply to additives that increase the octane, such as methanol alcohol or acetone.

quickcurrent

Old 01-30-08, 02:46 PM
acetone

Thats a little far out advice IMO, you should run your car following your manufacturer's recs. and I don't recall any of the big companies adivising to use acetone ?
Also if you NEED coffee in the morning you need to re-exam your sleeping habits, a good night's sleep has no substitue, true some coffee is good but not like Needed.

Old 01-30-08, 03:31 PM
dont know

Dont know about using acetone in my cars. We use acetone at work it is still allowed unlike MEK. I am not sure what the long term effects are on engine fuel system parts would be.
Some idiot replaced a line on a acetone tank that we use for cleaning with a rubber fuel hose and it burst in about half hour of service.
I think I will stay with what the car company says is good. Modren electric fuel pumps and injectors are high dollar to gamble with.

Old 01-30-08, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator
Mek

MEK not allowed?...for what uses I mean? Is it an OSHA thing? Don't they still sell it everywhere? Just wondering...

Old 01-30-08, 03:46 PM
Group Moderator
FWIW from the MSDS on acetone:

Potential Health Effects
----------------------------------

Inhalation:
Inhalation of vapors irritates the respiratory tract. May cause coughing, dizziness, dullness, and headache. Higher concentrations can produce central nervous system depression, narcosis, and unconsciousness.

Ingestion:
Swallowing small amounts is not likely to produce harmful effects. Ingestion of larger amounts may produce abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting. Aspiration into lungs can produce severe lung damage and is a medical emergency. Other symptoms are expected to parallel inhalation.

Skin Contact:
Irritating due to defatting action on skin. Causes redness, pain, drying and cracking of the skin.

Eye Contact:
Vapors are irritating to the eyes. Splashes may cause severe irritation, with stinging, tearing, redness and pain.

Chronic Exposure:
Prolonged or repeated skin contact may produce severe irritation or dermatitis.

Aggravation of Pre-existing Conditions:
Use of alcoholic beverages enhances toxic effects. Exposure may increase the toxic potential of chlorinated hydrocarbons, such as chloroform, trichloroethane.

Old 01-30-08, 04:01 PM
Big airline

Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
MEK not allowed?...for what uses I mean? Is it an OSHA thing? Don't they still sell it everywhere? Just wondering...
Yes the big Airline I work for has banned MEK. I guess they have found subsistute stuff like acetone and many other solvents.
I think MEK is also not sold in California. I think MEK is going to be like freon R-12 in the future.

Old 01-30-08, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator
ahh ok thx MV I like MEK for some things.

Old 01-31-08, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
FWIW from the MSDS on acetone:

Potential Health Effects
----------------------------------

Inhalation:
Inhalation of vapors irritates the respiratory tract. May cause coughing, dizziness, dullness, and headache. Higher concentrations can produce central nervous system depression, narcosis, and unconsciousness.

Ingestion:
Swallowing small amounts is not likely to produce harmful effects. Ingestion of larger amounts may produce abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting. Aspiration into lungs can produce severe lung damage and is a medical emergency. Other symptoms are expected to parallel inhalation.

Skin Contact:
Irritating due to defatting action on skin. Causes redness, pain, drying and cracking of the skin.

Eye Contact:
Vapors are irritating to the eyes. Splashes may cause severe irritation, with stinging, tearing, redness and pain.

Chronic Exposure:
Prolonged or repeated skin contact may produce severe irritation or dermatitis.

Aggravation of Pre-existing Conditions:
Use of alcoholic beverages enhances toxic effects. Exposure may increase the toxic potential of chlorinated hydrocarbons, such as chloroform, trichloroethane.
That's a pretty tame list of side effects compared to most medicines some of us take daily, mostly without incident, the_tow_guy, LOL.

Old 02-01-08, 11:07 AM
Not for me (at this time)

I was at our county fleet maintenance and the service advisor was reading a detailed report about adding acetone to your fuel tank to increase mpg. He of course is not going to add the acetone to the fleet, but was just interested. A co-worker that I was with decided to try it (1 oz acetone per 10 gallons of fuel). I tried to convince him not to because he relies on this vehicle to get to work and he is not financially stable (imagine that). He did this 7 days ago and thinks it is working (more mpg). I am still skeptical of this theory…needs to be further evaluated by auto makers or major fuel companies before I would be convinced. It is an interesting concept. Articles are plentiful on the internet, just use “acetone additive” in the search box. One thing seems to be common with the practice…if you use too much your mpg will go down. Also if you have a half a tank of already mixed fuel and top it off then you have to adjust the additive to the fresh fuel amount added. I AM NOT ASE CERTIFIED!

Old 02-01-08, 11:21 AM
Some good discussion:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...rue#Post804396

Some points I remember about reading past discussion on this topic:

- For those people that truly get higher gas mileage, they may be experiencing a cleaning of the injectors, making them more efficient. If so, switch back to no acetone and see if the higher gas mileage stays higher.

- There's always the placebo effect. People think they're getting better gas mileage. They're simply paying more attention to their driving and reporting those results. Or they are experiencing normal fluctuations with their gas mileage.

- I believe the chemistry behind it is that acetone will decrease the surface tension of fuel droplets allowing for better fuel atomization.

I personally believe that if acetone was truly beneficial for automotive fuel, the government would mandate it in our fuel supply for the public good. After all, they aren't too shy with other mandates to our fuel for the public good.