Oil Pressure Concern

Old 10-20-05, 03:05 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oil Pressure Concern

I've been experiencing a problem with my 2002 Mazda B3000 truck. When I go out to start in the morning, it takes about 10 seconds for the oil pressure to come off the low peg on the guage. Once it does, it shoots up to mid-range on the oil pressure guage but sometimes drops back down to low for a second or two before shooting back up. Reaving the engine seems to get it back up to mid-range quickly. This doesn't happen any other time the vehical is started (ie later in the day) and seems to be related to colder weather. Is this just the oil heating up or is there a problem here?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-05, 04:50 PM
Make sure you use the correct weight of oil and use the correct OEM filter.

Then see if the problems is still there.

Old 10-20-05, 06:51 PM
C
still not the problem....

I thought that might be the problem so I had the oil change (superlube) and confirmed they used the manufacturer's recommended oil (40 weight) and filter. Think dropping to a less-viscous oil (ie SAE 30 weight) might help or do you think the problem lies elsewhere? Strange that it doesn't happen -- at all -- during normal operations or if I start the truck up in warmer weather (even if it's the first start of the day).

Old 10-20-05, 07:11 PM
K
Do you get the valve clatter and other accompanying noise that goes with oil starvation during that period? I'm thinking that if you don't, you may be looking at a buggy oil pressure sender or some other non-critical issue.

Old 10-21-05, 12:58 AM
Don't know the climate you live in but no modern vehicle takes 40w oil. More like 5w-30....look in your owner's manual.

Also a manufactures recommended oil filter and an OEM Mazda or Ford (I think you have a rebadged Ranger) are not the same.

Old 10-21-05, 08:35 AM
P
sender

disable the engine the easiest way

unplug all your injectors so the engine won't start or take out the right fuse to kill the pump

unscrew the sender and crank the starter for about 2-3 seconds. if you have a large oily mess in and under the truck go buy another sender.

Old 10-22-05, 07:57 AM
M
40w?

That is not the right weight oil 40w is too thick.Like Toyotaman says look at the book or maybe on the oil cap.I bet it is not 40w that is like gearoil.No wonder you have pressure problems if that is what you use 40w and cold weather to make it even less viscous.

Old 10-25-05, 04:16 AM
Michael, cold weather makes oil more viscous not less.

Old 10-25-05, 05:49 AM
M
other way

I think you mean less, viscous is the ability of a fluid to flow thru a orfice.so as oil gets colder it gets thicker and flows less.So 5 w oil is thinner then 40 w.
If you use 40 w oil in very cold temp it will be thick and not flow well.Gear oil at 90w is real thick so it hangs on to the gears without flowing off.

Old 10-25-05, 03:09 PM
if he's using a straight weight 40...... thats not good, it thickens in the cold. if he say has 5w-40......he should be alright. 5w-40 gets thinner in the cold, thicker in the hot when the engine gets hot.

Old 10-26-05, 11:35 AM
M
Assuming the oil is correct, I would bank on the oil sender switch. I have had them go on several cars. They are pretty common on some models.

Old 10-27-05, 10:49 AM
C
Question

Sorry to have provided the distraction on the oil weight. Checked and it's 5w - 30 in the truck. Would a problem in the oil sender switch explain why this is only a 'cold weather phenomena'? This morning it was colder than usual and the pressure guage took even longer to come up. When it does, it shoots immedicately to mid range on the gauge. What's it take to replace the switch?

Old 10-27-05, 02:37 PM
The reason for using a OEM filter is the filter on your truck may not have the needed check valve that is required by the vehicle manufacturer.

When you have a problem such as yours the first step would be to use a OEM Mazda or Ford filter. This way you are assured it has the necessary configuration needed for your engine.

Old 10-27-05, 04:07 PM
M
One more question

After start up on cold mornings do you hear any bad noise like clatter or knocking?If you do I would stop driving untill problem is fixed.

Old 10-31-05, 07:11 AM
C
Question

Absolutely no sounds like the engine isn't getting oil. I'll get the OEM filter and see if the problem is corrected.

Also, am I right thinking the oil sender switch is used to send an oil pressure signal to the gauge and a problem with it isn't telling me there's no oil pressure in the engine?

Old 10-31-05, 08:49 AM
C
If none of the replies help you then just change out the sender...it's cheap isn't it?