starter problems? [merged posts/threads]

Old 10-21-05, 05:28 PM
starter problems????

1994 chevy 2500 4x4 PU, 350, 5.7L, AT.

New starter, battery, alternator, positive battery cable.

every few starts, it acts as though the battery is dead or the starter is bad or the engine is seized. The starter will engage but it can't turn the engine over. I will try it a few more times and then it will work.........ugh!!!!! Help! I need some new ideas before it quits on me for good and you know it will be where i will have to walk for miles and miles. Life out in the boonies.....some good points......some bad. My thanks to anyone with some ideas....

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-05, 09:04 PM
could be a bad Solenoid

Old 10-22-05, 04:53 AM
Group Moderator
Could have got a bad starter, too. Recently had to change starter on my wrecker (probably the same starter as your). I had only changed it about 6 months previous. Was cranking slow and I thought maybe one of my batteries was going (it has two in parallel for more reserve power). Ran tests on both, cleaned all the terminals, still had the problem but decided it couldn't be the starter becasue it was so new. Two days later I jumped in it first thing in the morning, turned the key, and it went "CLACK" - solid solenoid sound, but no rotation. Turned out it WAS a bum starter.

Old 10-22-05, 12:18 PM
Chevy PU stuttering

1988 Chevy 1500 4x4 PU 305 V8, manual 5 speed trans, fuel injection.

Acts as though it is starving for gas at low rpm.

New fuel filter, distributor cap, rotor, ignition module inside distributor.

seems to run fine as long as you keep the rpms up. Can't use 5th. gear without it jerking you out of the cab. What are the symptoms of a failing oxygen sensor? Seems like I have heard that they put two of them in the chevy pickups?????? Any help is greatly appreciated.......THANKS!!!

Last edited by Bentley; 10-22-05 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-22-05, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the help guys......it is getting worse. It stranded me this morning but after about 4 dozen flips of the ignition switch, it turned over enough to start it and get it to the shop. I am getting good at this starter motor replacement!

Old 10-22-05, 01:01 PM
Group Moderator
I hear ya, Bentley; wish mine was installed with a zipper. In the heat down here and the severe service it gets I average about 12 months on one.

Old 10-22-05, 05:03 PM
Thanks again guys...... replaced the starter again and so far it has started 3 times in a row! Got a whole two weeks out of the new one...... "quality in workmanship"....... must be a really outdated slogan?

Old 07-01-06, 09:50 AM
Starter.

Get a mini-starter. will solve all problems after market SUMMETTE.