possible fly wheel

Old 10-23-05, 10:34 PM
cccampbell01
Visiting Guest
possible fly wheel

I have a 1984 Chevrolet cavalier about 170000 kms, I recently replaced the starter as the car was, and still is making a sound simliar to that of when someone starts their car that is already started. It doesn't do it often, every couple of weeks and only when I start it. I don't recognize a pattern such as first thing in the morning ect.. Now the car with the new starter not only still makes taht sound at the same frequency but also seems to be draining more paower from the battery when I start it. Could it be a power connection or the metal plates between the engine and starter (do I need more or less?) and do you think this sound is a fly wheel?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-05, 06:04 AM
Group Moderator
Received 29 Votes on 23 Posts
Probably more. Those plates are shims that space the starter the proper distance from the flywheel. Your new starter should have included instructions for checking the clearance.

Old 11-12-05, 06:59 PM
cccampbell01
Visiting Guest
So if I replaced the starter with a used one in the first place and it is still making that noise I should but a new starter for replacement? Would the change of the starter cause a different sounding start in relation to the battery, or is it installed incorrectly/?

Old 11-12-05, 09:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
bendix

From what I can figure out is you replaced the starter because it was making a grinding noise like when you start with engine running
Caused by a sticking bendix.You replaced it with a used I assume junk yard starter and it is doing the same thing?
and yes you need to shim starter as stated.