Replacing my waterpump and Thermostat replaced asap

Old 10-24-05, 04:08 AM
WndyWoo
Visiting Guest
Replacing my waterpump and Thermostat replaced asap

I have a 1998 Ford Taurus SL V6

Problem:
When I drive outside a 3 mile radius car starts to overheat.

Diagnosis:
My auto manual helped me and I will need the waterpmp and Thermostat

I can't afford Pro Mech help because I'm on a new unemployed budget.
I know I need a pump and thermostat. Should I replace all hoses while I'm at it? What else? I calculate 20-30 bucks for the parts. Pros quoted $260 for full repair. I think I found my new career if labor pays that well! I'm ready to learn it all and have plenty of time.

waterpump and thermostat asap. I have my manual and tools just need some tips on low cost parts and where to start... thanks in advance for the assistance!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-05, 07:00 AM
Group Moderator
Slow down.

Are you sure you have a water pump problem? What are the other symptoms besides overheating after 3 mi?

If you have the 3.8L V-6, it is a known head gasket blower, so I would be REAL sure that wasn't the problem before I condemned the water pump.

Go to www.autozone.com and you should be able to find the R&R procedure for the water pump and thermostat.

Old 10-24-05, 12:31 PM
WndyWoo
Visiting Guest
waterpump or gasket ?? who knows....

The waterpump diagnosis originated by the mechanic pro that diagnosed and quoted the costly repairs. I suppose it could be a gasket problem....or just about anything which is what lead me to this forum. I appriciate your response, but when I went to Autozone.com they asked me to pay a subcription fee to get the help your suggesting. Due to my financial status, I'm simply unable to pay. I was looking for free DIY advice. Any other suggestions?

Old 10-24-05, 12:40 PM
WndyWoo
Visiting Guest
oh ...here's more symptoms that was requested

The car also starts grinding when accelerating during the overheating stage

the last time this happened- I also noticed a leak coming from the far left of the car... it was an oily leak... not like antifreeze or water...which I had just replaced before the overheating. ???

Old 10-24-05, 12:50 PM
WndyWoo
Visiting Guest
one more thing...

in addition to the other reply:
My A/C went out about 2-3 months before the overheating started...
I turn on my A/C and nothing happens. No noise and no air
Not sure if it is related, but I would love to fix this problem if there are DIY tips out there.

Old 10-24-05, 05:10 PM
Group Moderator
You could possibly have a transmission problem. The only thing Taurus's are more notorious for than blown head gaskets is transmission problems [I'm probably not making your day here, sorry]. Leakage on the far left would not be the water pump [wrong end of motor]. I would be inclined to have a transmission shop take a look at to eliminate the possibility that the grinding noise is transmission related. Entirely possible the original mechanic's diagnosis is completely correct. The grinding could be the water pump bearings going. You can do a quick check on that theory if you relieve tension on the serpentine belt and turn the water pump by hand to seee if it either wobbles badly or you can hear or feel any grinding.

Not sure what you found on AutoZone.com that required a subscription. Their repair info is free on-line. Here is the water pump R&R procedure:

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d801af0d4.jsp

Note of caution: Doing a water pump on a Taurus (and any of several other front wheel drive cars) is sometimes a real pain because the clearance at the right end of the motor where you have to work is pretty tight.

Your ac problem could be anything from low refrigerant to a bad compressor [which is also a possible grinding noise generator capable of causing overheating if the compressor isn't spinning properly either when it is engaged or when it is off and supposed to be freewheeling].